1. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

The transverse leaf spring suspension on the earlier Trabants (pre 1984?) provides great handling around corners but the ride quality is a bit choppy. I forgot how choppy the ride was until I started driving my Trabant since I got it out of my garage and started driving it again.

There is a company producing parabolic leaf springs for the MGB which is supposed to provide a better ride. I wondered if anyone ever thought Trabants could benefit using a more modern type of leaf spring suspension? If anyone even makes one? Are these type of springs any better?

I understand it the Corvette still uses transverse leaf springs although parabolic made of some composite material like carbon fiber or something simply because they handle better than coil springs.
  2. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

I have no idea about the other springs, but have you greased up both front, and rear spring packs?
  3. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

Sorry for the late reply. I have sprayed them with some sort of graphite lubricant called Penophite. Thinking it may creep within the leaves but other than that how can you get grease between the leaves?
  4. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

I use a big straight screwdriver, to gently pry up each leaf a smidgen. Then squirt/ smear some wheel bearing grease in between it. If you do this for each single leaf, then wipe off the excess on the outside.
  5. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

You need to periodically strip the leaves and de rust the leaves and regrease them as the rust causes them to stick together there is a special tool for greasing them which is a piece of thin metal pipe which fits onto a grease gun and goes between the leaves when they are levered apart
  6. ivanski

ivanski Newbie

Greasing the leafsprings without taking it completely off the car is no good. Take both out, remove the retaining nut and bolt and clean off rustout of every spring of the spring pack. Assemble with graphite grease and you will transform the ride.
  7. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

there is an attachment which goes onto the end off a grease gun to grease the leaves in situ it looks like a piece of steel brake pipe which is inserted between the leaves as theyre prised apart but if they havnt been derusted for a while you really need to strip them to do this
  8. Andrew353w

Andrew353w Newbie

During the 1940s & 50s there used to be a method of wrapping the leaf springs in tape, which was frequently advertised in "Autocar" at the time. In essence, one removed the springs from the car, cleaned and then covered in a special form of grease. The springs were then reassembled and wrapped in this special tape, which protected them from the elements.

It's strange to think that a car advert from 0ver 50 years ago is still relevant to cars in use today-a sort of "deja-vu"!