1. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

They aren't DDR style, but they are old German style.

I know it is not legal at all, but I'm going to run them on my car anyway......I finally got my car registered and titled here in the U.S. and Texas and when my plates were issued I just decided I didn't want to drill new holes. Besides, the car looks better with Euro plates anyway. So what I did was I took my Texas issued tag number and had them put onto Euro plates.

Check it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
  2. Cessnapilot89

Cessnapilot89 Puttering Along

That is seriously cool!
    Justin likes this.
  3. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

I think I have a lot better chance of getting away with it in Texas than you would in California
  4. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I never attached my Indiana plate on my first Trabant. I did put it in the rear window and drove all over the place for a long time with the DDR plates from the person who sold it to me still on there. They are still on there as a matter of fact. The Indiana plate in the window is "9 DANKE". I love your plates and may want to get some like that too.
    Justin likes this.
  5. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

It was pretty affordable considering, I spent about $60 shipped for both with the seals.
  6. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Not bad. Personalized plates in Indiana cost every bit of that after all things considered.
  7. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I didn't see anyone sharing their personalized plates. Here is one of mine I mentioned the story about in another thread. This was fun. IMG_20130805_162720.jpg
    Keri likes this.
  8. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

Maybe I should move mine here.....In fact, I think I will :)
  9. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

Here too....it's pretty crazy. I think the police will be pretty lenient of the tags given how the car looks. :)
  10. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I will put my last three Trabant personalized plates on here too. I have seen some cool plates on Trabants, our friends who drove Trabants to the Spy Museum have some I hope they put up here too.
  11. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

In Tennessee personalized plates are about twice that of a regular licence plate. Well depending upon which county you live in. My county has a wheel tax so it's $52 a year verses $27 in an adjacent county. So if I wanted somethink like "Trabbi" it would cost me an extra $50 a year. I opted for the Plain Jane antique plate since my car is more than 25 years old. A one time fee of $65 and it's permanent. No more annual registration fees again. I can live with that. Tennessee stopped issuing front number plates back in the early 70s.

[​IMG]
  12. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

13. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Oh, the antique plate is always an option. Not sure if there are personalized antique plates. Mati, Indiana has a special historic plate deal where if you have a nice condition original old plate that no one else is using the number, you can apply (and pay) to use that on your car. Imagine me driving a 1967 Trabant with an original 1967 Indiana Lic. plate. That would be funny.
  14. turbofiat124

Technically I *think* I'm supposed to fork over the $30 a year wheel tax to my county but I asked the ladies at the DMV if this was required for an antique licence plate and she said, "Well yeah but nobody does it". Back in the mid 80s it started out as a windshield sticker then went to a small sticker that fits in one of the blocks in the corner of the number plate.

The antique plate I got for my 68 Ford had a wheel tax sticker on it but a few years ago the county did away with the wheel tax stickers to save money. The sticker that went on the plate was sort of dumb to begin with because in order to update your registration for the state tax you have to pay the county wheel tax along with it in order to get the yearly sticker which changed color every year to make it easily identified by the police if your registration has lapsed.

It took these idiots 30 years to figure that one out!

If you have this antique plate on your car, it's supposed to be driven for occasional use. But I have not found in the law book that states what exactly is occasional use because it mentions nothing about mileage or holidays. I know it means not to be driven to work but that's one of the few times I get to drive it unless I am out by myself on my off days. However for years these plates were limited to Sundays, holidays and if the car is driven to be serviced but they relaxed the laws about 10 years ago and now just about everybody with a classic car has one.

I've been passed by many police and they have never stopped me. I have even been tailgated by the police on non passable two lane roads at times only to have them pass me when we get to a broken line and speed up!

I found if your not speeding or driving reckless, the police really don't care.
  15. turbofiat124

You can do that in Tennessee as well. I have a 1980 plate I was going to register on my Fiat Spider but the ones issued during that era are quite ugly I think.

[​IMG]

I want to find a 1968 plate for my 68 Fairlane but they are impossible to find at flea markets but if found are expensive if in good condition, very expensive if you have two that match or in too bad a condition to put on a car.

[​IMG]

I asked if I could register a German plate like the one I have on the front of my Trabbi and they said it had to be a Tennessee plate for tha year. Bummer.
  16. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Here is my 2002 plate. IMG_20130806_155833.jpg
    Keri likes this.
  17. Keri

Keri Leader

Comrade Trabi's License Plate...

It's a full-price full-time Illinois "Vanity" plate, which costs about twice as much as a standard plate the first year and about $20 more than a standard plate every year after that.

Why didn't I get the vastly cheaper "Antique" plates?

1- I intend to drive Comrade Trabi. A Lot. It's not like Comrade Trabi is a helpless SHOW CAR.
    Even though Illinois doesn't enforce the "weekends, carshows and repairs only" aspect, getting an antique plate for a daily driver Is Not The Right Thing To Do.

2- Illinois needs the money.... badly.

IMG_0821a.jpg

Happy Motoring
    from a Proud Illinoisan :D
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
    Wartburg353W and trabant601 like this.
  18. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I hear about Ill. being in the red all of the time in the Chicago news. I hope your contribution makes a dent. I like your plate.
  19. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

But Keri, how do you deal with the emissions testing that goes along with standard plates?
  20. Keri

Keri Leader

My contributions to Illinois make only the tiniest, slightest dents, barely a teenie-tiny imperceptible microscopic chip in the paint. But it's better than no dents!
    I spend time helping to try and get the super mega filthy rich to pay their fair share too.... ;)

There is no longer emissions testing for cars older than 1996 in Illinois, so emissions testing isn't a problem. Besides, 1968 was the very first model year for testing and it's an easy pass... even for a 2-cycle SAAB or Trabant.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013