1. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

We don't have a private plate system here in Ireland, your only option is that you can pick the number that comes at the end of the registration when you buy a new car, or import a second hand car. This used to be a reasonable €300, but it was hiked to €1000, effectively killing the plate sales.

Our system uses a Year - County - number Sequence layout.

[​IMG]

YY - AC - 12345 (format changes this year means we now use (131 - LK -12345 for the first six months and 132 - LK - 12345 for cars reg'd in the second half of the year. )
    My Trabi was built in 1987, and imported into Co Clare (hence the CE)

Later plates require the blue strip on the left with the Euro logo (or in the case of Japanese imports with smaller recesses, the top left corner) with IRL. This replaces the stick-on individual badges (like the DDR one above) The county name (in Irish) across the top is another newer baffling requirement.

[​IMG]
    trabant601 and Keri like this.
  2. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

How Bizarre, I had to read it twice. I suppose that if all 50 states got together and said, "lets have a USA plate for the whole country" that there would be some weird things come of it.
  3. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

The name of the county on a number plate over is not unusual over here. Although not all states place the county on the number plate.

Tennessee puts it across the bottom (Hawkins) being mine.

[​IMG]

Years ago, the county was the first digit of the number by population (see first two plates below). So Memphis (Davidson) was 1, Nashville was 2, Knoxville (Knox) was 3, Chattanooga was 4, Bristol/Kingsport (Sullivan) was 5, Johnson City (Washington) was 6. If I remember correctly Hawkins county were I live was 23.

[​IMG]

Although the county really doesn't mean anything to the police. There are no plates issued with the same numbers and letters from two different counties. The DMV forgot to put a county sticker on the number plate I have on my Explorer!

What's strange is why some states (like Tennessee) issue new plates every five years. But other states do not. In Tennessee if the car changes owners, the plate stays with the owner (not the car) and can be transfered to another vehicle for a small fee. The plate does not have to be replaced if you move to another county but stay within Tennessee.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
    Keri likes this.
  4. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Indiana used alphabetical numbers for county ID from 1963 until recently. With 92 Counties we had enough plates in 1963. Ex. Adams County was " 1 A 0000" and Allen County was "2 A 0000" Whitely County was "92 A 0000" when high population counties ran out of plates they assigned a higher number Marion got 93, Lake got 94 and so on until they used all of them up to 99 then they started double letters in the middle for counties 1 to 9 if they needed it. What a mess. Now the county is just a sticker on the plate. Numbers are AAA 000 or 000 AAA and there are two different series which one can choose from, the regular Indiana 200th anniversary plate for 6 years or the In God We Trust (seems to be a forever plate, but still renewed after 6 years I think). We have dozens of special club or state university plates too for extra charge which helps those organizations supposedly.
  5. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

This from the last year of the IN.Gov plates.
    IMG_20130806_155857.jpg
  6. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

With 300 Million people I don't think it would even begin to be feasible for us to do that.
  7. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

....and you know even if we DID go to a single USA plate system, then Florida would mess it up :)
  8. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Somehow, they mess up our state systems I bet.
    Justin likes this.
  9. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

They always mess up anything that the entire country is involved in. (disclaimer: That is not a ref to the Trayvon Martin trial, just a reference to any election, agency, or body of government that they get involved with that involves the rest of us)
  10. Keri

Keri Leader

Maybe we should revoke Florida's statehood!
    Who'd miss it?

Perhaps they could become part of Cuba if they asked really nicely.
  11. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

There are a few states I feel that way about :)
  12. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

IMG_20130806_155916.jpg
    This plate started in 2009. The normal ones have the innards of the Indiana flag in the middle. It was my avatar originally but that was the image that the BMV provided when I renewed that one year. It didn't work right so it only showed part of it. I was always curious why people didn't ask me what was wrong with that image. I would have answered that I didn't know.
    Justin likes this.
  13. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

this one is new this year. Indiana is 200 years old now. WooHoo!
    IMG_20130818_190216.jpg
    Keri likes this.
  14. Keri

Keri Leader

Oh! INDIANA is 200 years old?
    I thought it might mean TRABANT is! :confused:
    trabant601 likes this.
  15. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

That is how I feel about it too. I want a plain plate with no words on it, just my number, if it must be a plate at all.