1. notabmw1

notabmw1 Smoking Along

While I don't know the history of the Polizei Trabant in full details, this one was made as a... loose fun example to have stateside for my wife. She pointed out immediately the door decal, and honestly I was gonna have my buddy whip up her home town outside of Madgeburg, but it was incredibly.... lame. It is a guy standing on top of a red castle with a wreathe of some sorts. So I just went with a generic "Germany" crest/logo for fun. As far as Trabants being used for Polizei....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Wartburg353w must have a BS degree for sure. I don't mean boy scouts either.

3. Thinsid

Thinsid Loyal Comrade

Greetings!!
    There were regular bodied Trabants in use as Both regular police -Volkspolizei AND military police - Feldjaeger vehicles during the existence of the East German State. I do Not know wether Comrade Wartburg 353W is correct in his statement that they were only issued during a one year period.

Volkspolizei Trabants were in the usual Volkspolizei colours of that White over Dark Green with the standard Police badge on the doors (As Illustrated earlier.)
    Those of the Feldjaeger were in Military dark green with Black radiator grille, Roof mounted blue light and the word "Feldjaeger" in black on a narrow white rectangular background running across the front edges of the Bonnet and Boot lids (Hood & Trunk lids in US!). There were also unit ID numbers on the upper corner of the rear wing.
  4. Still a nice story, lol
  5. Thinsid

Thinsid Loyal Comrade

RE: My Last post - Regular Bodied Police Trabants

Forgot to mention some were used by the "Dog Squad" to tranport dogs to crime scenes.
    See www.polizeiautos.de
  6. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Do I have to sign up to see a DDR picture of a VP Trabant? I have only ever seen pictures of Trabants made to look like VP post DDR. Some of them I have seen are pretty convincing looking.
  7. Bountyflyer

Bountyflyer Premium Member Forum Donor

Yeh, it's kind a interesting to see a Trabant dressed up as a west German police car. Most of the police cars were Ladas when I was there, rarely seen any Wartburgs, but that was at the mid 80's... The Stazi used many Trabants but they were un marked. I like the car thru I think it has the wrong stickers. But most people doesn't even know what kind a car it is anyway. The kombi version is always close to my hart because I grew up in one! I love the tinted windows too!

Nice pictures! I wish I would live closer to DC....
  8. jchughes05

jchughes05 Newbie

Very cool! I am eyeing up a Trabant 601 here in MD, as well.

I was thinking of doing the OD Green/white Federal Police or Military Police scheme. MAybe even the civilian scheme (green doors/hood), Dual blue flashers, dual horn/sirens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

That is the old Federal scheme being phased out with the green and brown uniforms. The new Polizei are blue and silver and the uniforms are blue. Eventually, all will have blue
    uniforms I suspect. Good luck with the Trabant search. The states could decide which hat shape to use, some have the NYPD shaped hat, look ridiculous on a German Polizist. Can't remember which state it was, certainly not Sachsen, although they have completely gone to the blue all around. Saw it myself.
  10. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

chips trabi.jpg
    I like the added door handles to make it look like a 4-door.
    Justin and trabant601 like this.
  11. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Now Wartburg363W, you do know that pictures of and actual physical car that looks like a police car doesn't mean that it was ever used as that, right? This car on the California Highway Patrol would be amusing though. Did you see this car at a show? I think I saw it with some mock up Vopo Trabants at the ITT in 2002 in Zwickau. I looked for the picture recently but couldn't find it. Good share, thanks.
  12. Wartburg353W

You mean there's not really a "Route 66 Police Department" ??? :)
    Justin likes this.
  13. Thinsid

Thinsid Loyal Comrade

RE; polizeiautos.de website

Link posted earlier. You do NOT have to signup to veiw the photos however, you need to be able to find them as the site is in German.
    Having reached the homepage, scroll down and look for "Volkspolizei" on the right hand side then click on it. The Only Trabbi is the Police Dog Wagon!

Hope this is of use
    trabant601 likes this.
  14. Wartburg353W

Well I think that site lends quite a bit of support to the position that there were NOT Trabant Vopo cars. The dog transport being a very specific exception, and the description even says Trabants were only used in civilian paint schemes. Think about it, it would just be too impractical. Need to be able to catch bad guys and stow a bunch of gear.
  15. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I agree in principle and based on former Vopo who reports the same to me. I also was in the DDR and in enough places from Rostock to Dresden and Frankfurt (Oder) to Sperrgebiet a little bit at a time over plenty of time (1979-1991) and never saw a Vopo Trabant. I have only ever seen nice mock-ups that are fun customizing jobs. I can tell now though, that website is darn cool.
    Wartburg353W likes this.
  16. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

notabmw1, that was great parking next to you at the parade of Trabants. Obviously, I was very amused by people that were amused by our cars though and didn't get to talk to you as much about your awesome restoration tricks. What are you planning next for your project?
  17. notabmw1

notabmw1 Smoking Along

Well, would like to get the seats re-upholstered at some point, fronts are real bad. Engine bay I would like to repaint, and clean up to be mint. Exterior would like to leave the patina. Need to fix the fuel petcock, and find a leaky brake cylinder. Other than that re-arch springs to lower another 3", and probably make up some front camber arms. I need to install rear seat belts for the baby's seat to take it around the neighborhood sunday mornings. Then just enjoy it with the family. And I feel really really bad... my wife has never driven a Trabant. So I need to give her a go at that... since it is hers after all. :D
    trabant601 and Justin like this.
  18. notabmw1

notabmw1 Smoking Along

I guess time flies by when you are having fun. So 7 months later since that post and nothing new with the trabi.
    But now that I have worked my way through 18 minis the last few months I am ready to take a break and start working on my projects again.

So I am having Yvonne Rothman in Germany make me up some new seat upholstery. It will be black leather with white stitching. I wanted to keep it classy, and while it won't be factory, it will be clean, simple, etc. The rest of my interior is already black, and the seats were really the only thing needing dire attention.

Other than that I am getting ready to order up some brake maintenance items... some other odds and ends...
    And the big one I have been struggling with is the suspension kit. I can't decide between the 170mm lowering kit or the 150mm kit. I want it to be extremely low, but still usable. So I am trying to find the sweet spot. Now if you know me I have had, and still own insanely lowered cars, but I usually fabricated some form of air suspension on it. I want to keep the trabant static. I know most people won't have experience with any of these kits as the like keeping them mainly factory, but chime in if you do. I think ultimately I will order the 150mm kit to play it safe and compromise.

With that being said I am still kicking around the idea of going to electronic ignition, I am on the fence on what unit to order. It sounds like a lot of people like the black box unit. I want what ever is going to make this the most reliable setup. I have enough other old cars that need attention.

Lastly I am planning on cleaning the entire engine bay out. I am toying around with the idea of doing a shaved engine bay. Not sure I will go to the extreme of doing a wire tuck, but I am kicking it around. I would love to fabricate a expansion chamber if time permits. All of this I am shooting to get done for the Trabant Parade this 2014.

Anyway, talk to you guys soon. Don't worry I am used to getting blasted by most Mini enthusiasts too. trabant seat cover.jpg
    trabant601 likes this.
  19. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

Just tried calling you back. Let me know when you're available.
  20. notabmw1

notabmw1 Smoking Along

I snapped this picture last night, now the work begins again to take it to the next level. Anyone think I should dip the roof black? I think it is funny sitting next to my Estate it looks about a foot taller.

trabantwork.jpg
    trabant601 likes this.