1. Bill Overbaugh

Bill Overbaugh King Trabi Administrator Forum Donor

Hi,
    I am finally swapping my transmission in my Barkas, and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to pull the axles. We've tried everything. Does anyone know how to do this? Does anyone have a manual? Even if it's in German with pictures that would work as well.
    Thank you!
    ~ Bill
  2. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

I seem to remember you have type with an inner universal joint ? If that is correct you need to pull out complete hub and drive shaft as one unit ( it's a heavy brute much easier if you have two people) First disconnect brake flexible hose ( you can leave hand brake cable but might be easier if you undo that as well ) Then disconnect the steering n. Next you need to remove the upper and lower king pins . There is a locking plate and then soak for several days with a good quality releasing fluid . You then grip the pins with vice grips and try and rotate them until they free up and can be wiggled out . Getting the king pins out can be very easy or very slow and frustrating . Next the entire hub and drive shaft can be pulled out as one unit until the drive shafts are clear of gear box . Some people say only removing only one hub is necessary but I found removing BOTH hubs made reinstallation much easier but I was working on my own . Note the upper and lower king pins have shims and washer so make careful note of them. The upper and lower king pins are also different lengths. . I made a simple tool to help refitting the king pins . Get a couple of short lengths of 25mm bar and put a taper on them you can then put hubs in place and gently fit the 25 tapered bars so everything is lined up then pull out one bar and insert the king pin. Repeat for second pin. There are two needle bearings in hub and if you are not very careful you can damage these inserting the kinpins . If you damage the needle bearings I think I still have some I could post you but fitting them is a pain so go gently and try to have a helper
  3. Bill Overbaugh

Bill Overbaugh King Trabi Administrator Forum Donor

Great info. Thank you!!!
    I'll let you know how it goes.
  4. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Also be careful you don't tear the rubber outer gaiters when pulling/installing . It really makes things easier if you can round up a helper . To expand on refitting the hubs I found the following easiest . place hub roughly in position and insert end of drive shaft into box . One person holds hub in correct position while second fits shims and washers for lower king pin in place . Next slide 25mm tapered pin into lower hub after lining it up with a finger . Once you have a 25mm pin in lower hub make sure it doesn't drop out by placing a bottle jack under it . Now tap washer and shims into place for upper pin and again line up with finger and the fit tapered 25mm pin into upper hub . Now swap 25mm pins for the correct kingpins.
  5. Bountyflyer

Bountyflyer Premium Member Forum Donor

there was two different type of drive shafts. I assume you have the newer one. I never removed the brake hoses. I also have a puller tool what scrues into the kingpin once you remove the greasing ball. It's a correct observation, it either comes right out or you will suck majorly. Even with the puller....I can't even imagen with plyers....The shims are super important! note how it was inserted. The pins tend to rust,and will eat up the roller bearings around them. Every 5 years people used to pull them to re grease them and clean them.

I have a manual and parts book as well. send me a message if you need help, but I guess you probably have already changed it....