1. Bountyflyer

Bountyflyer Premium Member Forum Donor

I've made an arrangement with Keri, and we will start working on our version of the manual. It won't be an exact translation but there will be parts out of the manulas. We will write it for today's Trabant collector. For example the book would say to remove the engine air fan bearing use the .....number puller... We will say the same thing with the addition that according to our knowlage nobody has ever been able to remove the bearings without damaging the plastic fan itself. We will include advises what we have figured out on our own. Take it or leave it. I think who takes upon himself to repair his own car will appercipiate advises from others who did it before. If we touch an issue where oppinions are wastly different we will address our oppinion and our findings and let the reader decide. Prime example would be the oil to be used in a Trabant gas tank...

So I'll start on it soon, chapter by chapter. I think we will have it printed out and will see what to do with it.

Not too suprisingly the local Trabant collectors are just as cheap as the ones I know in Hungary. So asking money for a shop manual would not go too far I think. I probably would give a hard copy to those who sign up to the site or become a member to the Trabant club. (I know we don't have one yet but that could change)

It will take quite a bit of effort to make this manual happen, so you will have time to figure out what to do with it. But mean while if anyone have the need to read something out of the manual, I'm willing to work on that revelent part what someone needs, for example the Carburetor or transmission... We will work on one chapter at a time with Keri, so the order won't matter. So if you have a request, let us know.
    Matteo likes this.
  2. Bountyflyer

To DDR: not all russian looking caracters are used by the Russians only. The shop manual you've found on Ebay was written in Bulgarian language and has nothing to do with Russian. The letters might look similar thru... It's like you should be able to read and understand German because they (mostly) used the same caracters as English.... Sofia is in Bulgaria by the way....
  3. DDR

DDR Loyal Comrade

Bountyflyer , Yes , I understand that . The link I found said it was a Russian manual . When I clicked the link and read it properly it said it was Bulgarian , so maybe keri would not want that one after all. :) . I wish you all the best with your efforts and with Keri .
  4. Bountyflyer

There was very minimal export to Russia. They had thier own cars like Lada Volga and Moskvitch. At the other hand Hungary was forbiden to make a national car. Hungarians made buses called Ikarus. Very interestingly there is one not too far from College Station right next the main road!

Bulgaria was so behind in industry and everything else that they have inported all kinda things. Therefore they had cars from all over the eastern block. They are right next to Russia and they have a long pravoslav history. For some reason I don't know they using ciril letters.

Sorry if I've snapped at you, that wasn't my intention.

Look at this video then you understand why I'm getting excited about things like this:

Again, I didn't say that you are like the blond lady in the video, just I know that those places are so far from here and I keep hearing many miss information about them every day, even from well educated people I'm working with.

I hope you will enjoy the video thru....

Greetings, Peter
  5. DDR

DDR Loyal Comrade

Thats ok :) , I got misled by the link .. So Hungary was prohibited from making a car? I wonder why? Maybe do a better job than the Russians :D.. Oh my goodness , I would send her back to school ! That is ridiculous .. thanks for sharing .
  6. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

I now have a Danish repair manual, and a german addition to it. :)
    The danish part is for the older models (covers up to 1978) and the additon part covers up to 1984. :)
    [​IMG]
    2013-10-19 19.47.22
    by mati0921, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    2013-10-19 19.48.23
    by mati0921, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    2013-10-19 19.48.34
    by mati0921, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    2013-10-19 19.49.04
    by mati0921, on Flickr
    Is this the same as others have in not-english?

There is also a full size wiring diagram with it:
    [​IMG]
    2013-10-19 19.47.43
    by mati0921, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    2013-10-19 19.47.57
    by mati0921, on Flickr

I would help translating parts of it if someone needs it, and if i find the time i will translate it all, and hope someone would check the grammar. :)
    I cant translate the german addition part, as my german is rubbish. :D
  7. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I posted a question in the help section about the wiring diagram for the headlight switch. The copy I have (where I found here) seems to break the switch down into three separate circuits. When translates by Google, the two circuits translate to park lights.

Fahrt Licht
    Stand Licht
    Park Light

What is your Danish copy showing these to be?

Also there is a component called tastenschalter below the wiper motor but it shows no wires connected to it. What is that?
    [​IMG]
    Justin likes this.
  8. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

My diagram is different, and also in german, so i cant help you with that. :(
  9. Keri

Keri Leader

Tastenschalter = Button(s) switch?

This is obviously a switch that controls the top-secret Button Launcher*, a vital anti-aircraft device.
    Apparently the top-secret status covered the Button Launcher device and wiring but not the switch.

* The famous Secret East German Button Launcher is what kept the Cold War cold.
    Great fleets of Military Trabants would patrol the borders of the Eastern Bloc continually on the alert for invading fleets of B-52s.
    When the inevitable fleets of B-52s arrived, massive amounts of buttons were launched to great heights, be ingested into the bombers motors and forced the planes down** or back in defeat.
    This is why the twin engine B-52 was upgraded to 8 motors. It was a failed attempt to make it past the button defense.

This of course resulted in massive shortages of both Trabants and buttons in the Eastern Bloc, hence the long wait for a new Trabi and the popularity of zippers on clothing. As East Germany was the world's leading exporter of buttons, these shortages ultimately led to the invention of Velcro.

** For many years, Soviet scientists were puzzled by the complete lack of turbine blades in any of the thousands of downed B-52s scattered across the Eastern Bloc.
    They ultimately discovered the cause of the missing turbine blades. It seems that having bits of shattered B-52 turbine blades and Air Defense Buttons embedded in one's East German Military Ushanka was considered to be the ultimate form of Machismo, even better than driving a sky blue (Himmelblauer) Trabant, so the planes were stripped bare sometimes even before they stopped moving!
    These customized Ushankas, once common among young East German soldiers, are now prized by collectors world-wide.

All because of the greed of Global Capital, the foul pigs!
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    Justin likes this.
  10. Thinsid

Thinsid Loyal Comrade

Are you sure there was a Trabant Workshop Manual (NOT the Car Handbook) in English?? There was one for the Wartburg 353 called the Knight (Saloon) and Tourist (Estate) when they were imported into UK officially approximately between 1967 and 1975.

The Trabant Handbook was produced by Professor Lew Schnurr, a great publication if you can find one
  11. Thinsid

Thinsid Loyal Comrade

I have the Meissner Trabant workshop manual in Hungarian as well! How does it compare to the other one?
  12. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

There exists a real export English manual. I had one but lost it in a total loss fire. Please do not give up finding the real thing. The dates are approx. the same as you noted above.
  13. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Keri, you may have noticed the early version of this item on one of my Trabants. I didn't make a big deal out of it because I didn't know you clearance level. I can demonstrate it next time you come over. It does more than you know about.
    Keri likes this.
  14. turbofiat124

Justin has one of these posted on this site.
  15. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

The one I had was the size of a full size book (about the dimensions of a typical magazine) about half an inch thick too. I bet someone still has one in Iceland or someplace else where they exported to. I will not stop looking. My mechanic keeps wishing he would find that book in his garage someplace. It isn't happening in 13 years so doubtful.
  16. Thinsid

Thinsid Loyal Comrade

That is the Handbook, NOT a workshop manual.
    If there was a real workshop manual in English I want a copy!!
  17. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

Thinsid, there is one in English somewhere; it's like a mystical unicorn, people tell tales of having seen it but they don't seem to exist.

I do know that Keri and Bountyflyer are working on translating a manual, complete with pictures, work ups, everything. Don't know the ETA or status of that.
  18. turbofiat124

19. Andrew

Andrew Most Powerful Leader Moderator Forum Donor

So the elusive english manual.
    I have a copy care of Dave at TrabiUK, however I am hesitant to post it without prior permission, as I don't know what the rights are regarding redistribution of it...
    Obviously the original copyright goes to VEB Sachsenring, but Dave went to the effort of a get a copy of the manual and then scanned all the pages.
  20. turbofiat124

I seriously doubt VEB would even care these days. There is so much old Fiat literature floating around (shop manuals) that have been converted to pdf format, nobody from Fiat cares anymore since these cars have not only been out of production for 30+ years, Fiat doesn't even supply parts for their old models anymore. All parts are either NOS or reproductions. The only I saw was one parts supplier in Calforinia had to change the name of his company from Fiat plus to Chris Obert and company. Story has it Fiat ordered him to do it because they were planning on returning to the US.