1. David L.

    David L. Newbie

    I have the opportunity to bring a Schwalbe into New York from Belgium in someone's container. Is there anything I need to know about registering one in New York? Are there any restrictions or limitations?

    JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

    Are you planning on driving it on the road? Depending on the state turn signals may be required...I am jealous by the way. I would pick a Simson over a Vespa any day.
  3. David L.

    David L. Newbie

    They all have turn signals, don't they? I just did a google image search and looks like they are on the handlebars.

    I do want it on the road. It seems like the perfect vehicle to ride around New York City. And a wonderful companion for my Trabant.

    I heard second hand that it needs to be pre '68 to import into the USA. But reading around the customs web pages, it seems that motorcycles are exempt from US certification on import if they are more than 25 years old (meaning I need a pre '88 or almost any Simson).

    Be jealous when I actually pull it off. I haven't done that yet.

  4. turbofiat124

    turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

    I'm trying to turn my Tomos TX50 bike into a street legal moped/scooter. It uses basically the same parts as their mopeds but lacks lighting, horn and a mirror. I added a voltage regualtor and installed a 55 watt auxillary light. I've been buying a lot of parts off Ebay from China and Hong Kong. Don't order anything you might need in a hurry if it comes from Hong Kong because it literally takes a month to get it.

    Notice the handlebars have been raised using water pipe, two pipe tees and a union:


    Horn $9.00 :

    Four turn signal lights $12.00:

    Rear brake/tail light $10.00 :


    Handlebar switches $15.00:

    Brake light switch $9.75:


    According to the TN DMV website, if the bike is <50cc, will not go more than 30 mph and has a brake HP of less than 5, it's considered a moped and does not need to be registered. I think one more item I'll need to get is a mirror. Maybe add a speedometer from a bicycle. Despite the speed limit is 30 mph on all streets in my town except on the main highway, this bike won't do more than 30 mph on flat land.

    One thing that has changed is you do need a driver's licence (but not a motorcycle licence as long as it's below 125ccs). I think this was because a lot of people who lost their driver's licences were buying mopeds and scooters to get around on. Usually if someone is busted driving drunk in a car, they will once again be driving drunk on something else. Or by not allowing them to have any form of transportation, teaches them a lesson by restricting their freedom.

    I maybe disappointed once I get this bike setup. The cops may still find something not legal about it. Like the non DOT approved tires despite being in good shape. I don't know if someone makes a DOT approved tire to fit this bike or not. Can't be any worse than these idiots driving around on bald ass tires.

    Or the headlight is actually a 55 watt auxillary light and does not have a high beam. But I'm not going to be riding this thing around town at night anyway.

    Or the bike smokes excessively even when warmed up. I'm not sure if the rings are worn, or Tomos engines smoke regardless. I have not done a compression test but the bike starts easy. I would think worn rings would lower the compression and make it hard to start.

    I just wanted something fun to drive a mile down the road in my small town to pick up a Red Bull, smokes or a sandwich from the sub shop. Maybe if I get pulled over and tell the cop I am supporting the local economy and show a copy of the law he might let me go.

    Really what law would I be breaking considering it would have the same equpitment as a moped.

    Here is what I really want:


    JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

    I searched for Simson Schwalbe's on ebay.de and it looks like about half of them listed have the turn signals...they are not required here in Idaho...but I would think they would be in NY.

    I hope you can pull it off.
  6. JFB

    JFB Puttering Along

    If you want to get more information and help, send an email to my friends in New Rochelle, Tom and Anna Giordano, they probably have the biggest and the most ecclectic collection of vintage scooters in North America. Anna is German and she has lot of contact there, their collection is impressive and they have almost all scooters ever produced in Germany, France, Italy or Britain!
    Their real love is for German scooters, East or West, they have everything and they import a lot from Europe. I'm sure they can give you a good help. Just a visit of their garage will amaze you!
    Here's their email:
    On my side I own a IWL Troll and a collection of about 20 Italian scooters (Vespa and Lambretta).
    Hope that can help!
    Montreal. QC.
  7. JFB

    JFB Puttering Along

    By the way, the Schwalbe came with turn signals, they are fairly cheap to buy and I like the weird look of those round lights at the end of the handlebars.
    My IWL Troll share the same headset as a MZ motocycle and they have the same turn signals too.
  8. Bountyflyer

    Bountyflyer Premium Member Forum Donor

    I'm getting old! Looking at that green simson I remember when these were brand new and they were for sale at the local tractor shop! We had quite a few houligan grups charging down the street with modified muffler no fenders and shortened seats.... Wait a second! They were Simson cafe racers! (Except there were no real cafes in Hungary)
  9. turbofiat124

    turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

    I decided to scrap the idea of turning my Tomos TX50 into a street bike. I figured the cops would bust me for the non DOT rated tires. So I ended up getting a moped. And I've had nothing but problems with it. See one of my other threads.
  10. Justin

    Justin Founder Moderator

    @David L, I dont think you'll have a problem to make it right.

    Also, if you're interested, I have a 1953 Kreidler K50 I'm selling.

Share This Page