1. Tim S

Tim S Just Slow, Not Stalin Forum Donor

Oh well, it's got to be done.

What a way to spend a Saturday night scraping tar! :)

At least I'm istening to 1970's DDR Jazz and drinking German beer so I hope the Trabi gods will smile on me!

Undercoat1.jpg Undercoat2.jpg
  2. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

thats a nice messy job to do!
    Tim S likes this.
  3. trondd

trondd Loyal Comrade

2 methods I've heard of, but never had the pleasure of needing: oven cleaner or liquid nitrogen and a few taps with a mallet.
  4. kev the builder

i was watching a car program whis week and they filled the floor pan with dry ice and after a few minutes just tapped it with a hammer and it all came off,im not sure where to buy a bag of dry ice from tho
  5. Tim S

It would definitely be easier with a lift than just using jack stands but it will have to do.

My goal is to get this car in such good restored shape that I get a get a stern letter from the Party or perhaps a visit from the MfS for being to bourgeoisie!
  6. Skye

Skye Newbie Staff Member Administrator

I've done the liquid nitrogen method, it's still a big pain but a lot better than doing it while it's goopy!

Unfortunately it's rather expensive (at least the bottle deposit) and you have to build something to spray it on with... dry ice might be worth a try
  7. kev the builder

on the tv they had a large bag of dry ice and just poured it into the footwell waited a few minutes and them tapped it with a hammer,they made it look easy but whether it would work like that in real life is another matter
  8. Zausel

Zausel Genosse Forum Donor

Dry ice is available everywhere out here. Any big gas shop or supermarket will have it. I suppose it's because we love to ship our seafood everywhere. It's also great for making dry sift hashish, but that's a post for a different thread.
  9. Tim S

I located some at the local Supermarket 2 miles away! Looks like I've got a project to try for the weekend!

Thanks for the advice all!
  10. Tim S

Dry Ice.jpg

Dry Ice 2.jpg

So I did try the Dry Ice treatment today and although it did work great I was only able to remove about 2 sq. ft. of undercoating with $12 of Dry Ice.

It hardened the undercoating great but it still wasn't easy to remove with a plastic scraper. It never hardened enough to just shatter with a hammer plus I didn't want to risk damaging the metal underneath.

Probably most of the problems stemed from the fact that I had to pack the Dry Ice on the opposite side of the sheet metal and that most likely reduced a lot of the cooling.

I think that the most practical way to move forward is that I am going to have to weld up a frame so I can flip the car over and then work on it. Doing the whole undercoating crawling underneath is really not a viable option... Drat!
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  11. kev the builder

the underneath youve done looks realy clean pity it isnt as easy as on the tv but things never are
  12. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

What's good to protect the wheel wells with from flying rocks? I mean from rocks knocking the paint off down to the metal? I always found it easier to scrape off any loose undercoating but whatever is stuck to the paint, leave it and brush on a thick coating of black Rustoleum over top of it to seal it to prevent it from coming loose.

If you do want to remove it what about a heat gun?

I used one of those heat guns I got from Harbor Freight to remove some floor tiles in the laundry room that were glued to the concrete. These were installed in 1974 before they made stick on floor tiles.

Once heated up, I took a hammer and one of those paint scrapers and it peeled right off. I still had to go back over it with a 60 grit orbital sander and acetone before installing the new stick on tiles.

Needless to say, whatever rubber or plastic material these things were made of gave off quite the noxious fumes when heated up!
  13. Zausel

Zausel Genosse Forum Donor

Should be cold enough tonight to freeze it.
    Tim S likes this.
  14. Tim S

Yeah really, I should just roll it outside overnight and then kick the car in the morning and all of the undercoating would fall off. But being a Trabi the whole car might fall apart with it! :p:D

I've tried using the heat gun to soften it and then scrape with a plastic putty knife and then follow up with a rag soaked in mineral spirits. Works but still leaves a mess and it is really hard to clean the crevices.
  15. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

The other day while I had the wheels of my MGB, I just took a wire brush to knock off any loose undercoating then took a paint brush and applied a thick coating of Rust-Oleum gloss black over top of it to seal it. Some of the undercoating had dried to the point, all it took was a wire brush and it flaked off like dust.

That's how the do asbestos in old plants and factories. They found trying to remove it stirs up too much of it so they found it easier to seal it with an epoxy coating.

Rustoleum is not an epoxy but has worked well for me in the past coating undercoating in wheel wells.
    Tim S likes this.