1. Andrew

Andrew Most Powerful Leader Moderator Forum Donor

Has anyone successfully got some custom DDR replicate plates made?

I sent and email off to this guy a month or so ago but I haven't heard anything back. I assume my google translator German didn't help.

This also assumes the google translator also translated german -> english correctly and he does in fact make licence plate reproductions.

http://www.kennzeichenwelt.de/index.php?page=herstellung

I guess the second part of my question is, if we do find someone where to make some DDR replica licence plates, does anyone else want some?

Cheers

A.
  2. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

phi gave me some information on this, if I can find it I will post it, if he gets to this before me, he might be able to tell you, but I know this is out there. I have talked to the person and he was pretty reasonable.
  3. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

4. Andrew

Awesome, Thanks Justin and phi
    I've set the person in the first link an email, and I'll see what happens.

Also found this, which gives a good description of the different registration seals in case anyone was wondering.
    http://www.kennzeichenwelt.de/index.php?page=ddr

Edit: Spelling Failure.
  5. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

Funny enough, the guy ended up emailing me this morning, so I have more info for you......

His email is: jan.kurze@live.de

Hi Justin,

i start with the plates.
    I need the letters ans numbers you want to have on your plates.
    But remember: "AA 11-11" or "AAA 1-11".
    This is the combination how it only was possible with the gdr plates.

I start creating them when you send me the money and I also know the letters and your address.
    Plates 50€, transfer costs 16€, all together 66€ or 85,21$.

Regards,
    Jan
  6. Andrew

Lol, well I emailed him last night and got a reply... just need to figure out how to pay him via bank transfer...
    The Number I am getting is UG 80-44 (the original registration of my trabant) along with a blue plastic seal.
  7. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

I am not sure the best way to do it either, usually there is a pretty hefty transaction fee to do a wire/bank transfer, especially internationally, I wonder if he has PayPal or something similar or perhaps it would be possible to send him a check?
  8. Andrew

My bank has two options,
    I can send a international bank draft which is basically just a cheque in euros (they send it from europe) but it is exactly that, a cheque, he would still have to go to a bank and wait for it to clear.. costs about $15NZD and takes about 8-10Days
    I can send a wire transfer, which takes 2-3 days, but it costs $25NZD on my end, and the recipient bank charges as well (apparently something like 20euros).. which means he might not get the full amount.

The other option I am pursuing at the moment is using currencyonline.com or xe.com, both have been recommended by people I trust... although someone did mention that xe can also be a bit stupid with fees.. still waiting to hear back from them..

Cheers

A.
  9. Andrew

I just sent my transfer via currencyonline, it cost me $9NZD of fees but that is nothing compared to the normal intl money transfer fee from my bank.
    So far its been painless, and I also asked Jan if he has any other payment methods... I'll let you know the results when I hear back..
  10. Andrew

I heard back from Jan, He doesn't have paypal or similar... only bank transfer. But I didn't ask about intl bank cheque, so you might want to ask him.
  11. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

I found a pair of matching plates a while back in decent shape so I may use those, it is just a matter of whether or not I can register that tag #, which I think I can, if not I will have to wait until I officially get the car registered in the U.S. before I am able to pick my plate #'s. I can use the European plates in Texas but only as long as the numbers match up to the numbers the car is registered to.
  12. Andrew

Yeah I won't be allowed to legally used mine in NZ, but it will be nice to have for photoshoots...
    But I do know someone who runs texas plates without an issue, so I might occasionally have a drive with the replica plates on (this assumes I get personalised plates here that match)
  13. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

I think with the car being a little odd the police shouldn't give you too hard of a time. It sure doesn't look like it belongs in either of our countries :)
  14. Andrew

Got a reply from Jan today... my plates are being sent...

[​IMG]
    Justin likes this.
  15. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

I like them! They came out quite nicely. Seemed like a quick turn around time too. How did you end up handling the money part of it?
  16. Andrew

I used currencyonline.com, I am not sure if its available to the USA, but xe.com would work as well if is not.
    For currencyonline it cost me $7NZD in fees, but the full amount arrived in Jan's bank account.

As we discussed before, whoever you end up using, make sure they transfer the money into the payee's account via electronic fund transfer and not a wiretransfer. Usually the recipient bank charges fees on the final amount.

From Xe.com on EFT (just make sure you sending the money in euro's not USD.

17. Andrew

The plates arrived today, and they look bloody awesome..

Shitty Camera phone photo in the dark
    [​IMG]
  18. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

Those are outstanding! Take a pic of them once they are on the car!
  19. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

Those are great...I didn't realize they would come with the DDR seal...How much did they end up setting you back..I want some.
    Justin likes this.
  20. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

They really do. Much better than I could have expected. The guy should post on here if he wants to try to gain a little more revenue. I don't have his email handy so if you want to give him that idea, please feel free.