1. Trabant Forums is now part of the AutoShrine Network and has moved to a new server
    If anything broke during the move, please contact admin@trabantforums.com
  1. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

The exhaust fractured properly on my Trabant over the weekend at the point where the middle pipe enters the back box. A support strap had gone and I didn't notice in time to replace it. It must have taken a while for the joint to fracture properly.

What I found interesting was the way that as the hole grew it created and amplified all sorts of sounds. Groaning and droning sounds that sounded like crankshaft bearings or gearbox problems. The sound of the engine returning to idle started getting much rougher for some time before the exhaust cracked properly and I wondered if there was something wrong with the pistons or small end bearings. The rattling sound caused by the pipe vibrating against the back box seemed to be coming from the front of the car as if something the dynamo or fan were working loose.

I welded up the crack this morning, not my best work, but it seems to have done the trick. Now the odd sounds have diminished or disappeared completely.
  2. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

Speaking of weird exhaust noises, you might be familiar with this since you have a 2CV Dyane.

At least you can get the proper sized exhaust pipe where you live. My Trabant and my 2CV uses the same size exhaust pipe. I think they are 40 mm.

I took my 2CV to have a new muffler installed (the one under the driver's seat not the cross box). The crossbox was the first thing I had to replace on this car. It had a hole in the bottom. Aligning all of those saddle clamps was a pain! The clamp that exits the crossbox fell off on my way home from work. Talk about loud. The crossbox seems to do most of the silencing.

The second muffler doesn't seem to do much as far as reducing the noise. After I had to replaced, I couldn't tell much difference.

The one under the driver's seat was starting to break apart inside. When I was driving down the road, if I let off the gas, it sounded like a train horn in the distance! When I banged on it with my fist I could here chunks of metal bounced around.

That was the weirdest noise I had ever heard from an exhaust system. I mean it literally sounded like a train horn!

I already bought the correct muffler, I just needed it installed. I was going to install it myself but the pipe between the cross box and the muffler had fused together. A propane torch didn't work. The alternative was to cut it off with a reciprocating saw. Trouble was I could not find any unions in that size from any of the auto part stores! I figured my favorite muffler shop may have the stuff to do it.

I took it in and they said they could not even get exhaust pipe that size! I asked them. I think they said the smallest pipe they carried was 45 mm. I said, "Well surely you can come up with something?" So they used a 45 to 40 mm reducer on the end of the muffler and 45 mm pipe from the muffler back.

So I guess whenever I replace the exhaust system on my Trabant, it will end up with 45 mm pipe and several 45 to 40 mm reducers!
  3. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

Or just order the correct parts from the usual suspects. The complete Trabant exhaust costs Eur 125 (plus US duties/taxes and delivery) from Trabantwelt. Delivery to Norway for the exhaust and two brake drums works out at under Eur 40 which, given the length of the "mittelrohr" seems quite reasonable. Although it could be that I have lived in Norway for too long and hence prices everywhere else always seem reasonable. :D

Or you could upgrade to a sport exhaust (doesn't do much for a standard engine) for Eur 190 which has 45 mm pipes.
    RogerDerSchrauber and Lasse like this.
  4. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I'd hate to think how much it would cost to shipping exhaust pipe from Germany to the US. I think there is a source for this pipe in the United States.

I am going to get one of those sport exhaust heat exchangers one of these days.