1. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

2. DaveinOz

DaveinOz Aussie Trabant Nutter Forum Donor

Great pics, some bizzaro cars there that I've never seen before. The Lada Niva is actually fairly common in Australia, they imported a few of them here in the 80s and 90s and they have become a bit of a cult 4wd. They also imported some Lada samaras as well but they have all but disappeared by now.
  3. turbofiat124

Did you check out the sublink on American cars in Poland?

Back in the early 1990s I was watching a segment on a news program (60 Minutes I think) talking about all these American cars that started showing up in Poland. Everything from minivans to Camaros.

Turns out almost all of them were stolen! They were being loaded up on sea containers and shipped to Poland. I'm not sure how Poland ended up as a popular destination for stolen vehicles. Perhaps at the time the new government was not quite settled and somehow it was easy to register a stolen vehicle without paperwork.

Stolen 4 wheel drives were ending up in Central American countries like Belize.

Last summer my co-workers and I got into a really bad hailstorm coming to work. Baseball sized hail. My insurance company did not total out my 2003 Subaru Liberty Ute despite causing $5000 in damages but my co-workers 1998 Subaru Outback was totaled because it wasn't worth $5000. His insurance company wrote him a check for $4500, took possession of the car but instead of sending it to a scrapyard, they sent it to Guatemala. Apparantly there is a market for any 4X4/AWD vehicle in Central America even if it's beat all to hell as long as it runs.
  4. DaveinOz

DaveinOz Aussie Trabant Nutter Forum Donor

5. turbofiat124

I heard Spain was a popular dumping ground for cars from Italy, Germany and France that were considered unwanted due to age and condition.

Back in the late 1980s I was in Juarez Mexico which is just across the border from El Paso, Texas. Every car in that city was ragged out. They appeared to be worn out cars from the United States that Americans did not want. I only saw two late model cars in good condition.

We road around in an old mid 70s Chevy Nova taxi-cab that looked like it was painted yellow with spray cans.