1. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade Administrator Forum Donor

So I'm here in the southwest suburbs of Chicago, completed my intro post (second round) and I want to see what my options are for a workable 601. Been reading various "what to buy/look out for" threads and have good mechanical capabilities. So I guess I'm looking for a "driver" that needs work. I am fortunate enough to work at a company with an office in Singen, Germany. So the option would also be open to buy a car in Europe and bring it over. Would love to hear from those "in the know" about available cars or suggestions on bringing a car over. If there are threads that cover my inquest in detail, please post a link.

I know this is not a car found on every used car lot (no Trabant listed in the search engine on CarMax), so I am ready to read/listen/learn before taking the plunge.........Unless someone knows of a deal!
  2. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

To get an idea of prices in Germany there is www.mobile.de plus german ebay of course.
  3. BillB

Danke Schoen
    I'll check it out
  4. BillB

mbeamish, thanks for the info.
    Between ebay.de and mobile.de, finding a car is not a problem at all.
    In fact, there are a number of them very close to where my co-workers are located in SW Germany.
    Already had contact with the sellers.
    Now I need to start looking at how to get it over to the USA.
  5. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

A BIG expense is shipping it through Germany. Since everything goes out through Bremerhaven, we're talking essentially a Euro per km. Munich to Bremerhaven: 806 km. I got lucky. I found a seller near Hannover, about 80 km from Bremerhaven. He rented a trailer and brought it to the port himself for 80 Euros. If you know anybody in Nordrhein-Westfalen or Bremen/Hamburg with a good Trabi for sale, you'll save much time and hassle. (Maybe you know somebody in SW Germany who owes you a favor? ;) )

Bear in mind most car shippers, even Germans, only ship modern cars. They have zero idea how to deal with a Trabant. If you can, ship it as a "no-start" car. Leave the battery and gas out of the car, and pay more to tow it on and off the ship.
  6. RogerDerSchrauber

ebay-kleinanzeigen.de was how I found mine. LOTS of good deals there.
  7. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

A really nice idea ( but expensive) would be to take a holiday in Germany and sort out Trabi buying/shipping while there .Maybe blag a business trip to your German office?
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  8. BillB

Roger, yes one of my fears was how to get the car up north.
    Actually, the selection up north seems to be better anyway, so maybe take mbeamish's suggestion.
    Next trip to Singen (SW, by Lake Konstanz) for work, take a few extra days and get the task completed.

Will keep the "no start" factor in mind as well.
  9. RogerDerSchrauber

Bill, read my thread about how I got mine over here. A VERY enthusiastic broker shipper, who is used to shipping race cars and luxury cars and the like over here said, "yeah, Trabant, no problem to ship." (Funny, they all said that, but this guy had a better rep than most.)

When the seller and I found that the German end of the roll-on/roll-off ferry service said they couldn't get it started to bring it on the ship, we knew there were going to be problems. I told the shipper to let everyone know not to try and start the car. Nobody told the car transporter people picking it up in Bayonne, NJ, though.... "D'OH!"

The Trabant is a very durable car, and will survive even idiots. Have faith, but watch out, nonetheless. ;)
  10. RogerDerSchrauber

Going over there to buy it is the BEST way to do it. mbeamish is absolutely right. Pick out several, get a rental car, and see what you like.
  11. BillB

I may have a 1990 601 Limo on the short list of potentials.
    Just at the first stages of looking. The car is 1 hour from a co-workers house and he will go check it out and get loads of photos.
    The buying a Trabant/what to look or lookout for guide listed in the forum will come in to be very handy.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    RogerDerSchrauber and Justin like this.
  12. BillB

My work buddy in Germany has found a second 601 only 45 minutes away. Next weekend, he'll make a trip to check both out and take some photos that I will post here.
    Both cars have TUV through the end of 2017, so they are road going drivers.
    I copied and sent him this for his initial look at the cars:
    http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/trabant-a-buyers-guide.1335/
    Thanks Justin for this great reference and starting point in researching a car!
    Figured out getting the car to Bremerhaven.
    My work buddy will purchase the car and keep it while a few spares are stockpiled.
    The car and driver (work buddy) will get on a car carrying train to Hamburg (8 hours and 279 EUR) and then drive the last 1.5 hours to Bremerhaven, drop it off and head home on the train. He says it would be a fun weekend trip.
    OK, so now I would ask for a reference or past experience on how to get it across the pond.
    Beyond the forms for DOT and EPA (I saw them in here somewhere, but can't find them as I type this), what other "gotchas" are involved?
  13. BillB

Just a follow up, the second car turned out to be perfect for the like of me. The car has been picked up and it's in temporary storage while we figure out the trip to the USA.
  14. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

congrats now the fun of getting it shipped. make sure it has a hs7 filled out in the usa when it hits port. also if it is a 91 make sure the build date is makeing it 25 years old
  15. BillB

Tricken,
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Have both the DOT (HS 7) and EPA (3520-1) forms and will make sure they are completed and copied are on both sides of the pond.
    So far, everyone here has been a very big help, thank you all.
  16. RogerDerSchrauber

Everything should be OK. If it gets put on the boat and then shipped to you, then it means that all the customs/EPA stuff is OK, and the bill of sale and German title are in order. If not, they won't even let it on the roll on-roll off ferry at Bremerhaven. Only things you might still have to deal with are harbormaster costs, transport in USA/Germany and power-of-attorney forms, if applicable.
  17. BillB

Roger,
    All my quotes are based on "no start" (a few buck more).
    I have quotes for the car ferry from Bremerhaven to Baltimore and the open truck carrier (again, "no start") from Baltimore to me.
    I did confirm that the car ferry will handle customs processing in the USA for $350 USD
    I'm getting itchy to pull the Trabi transport trigger :)
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016