1. greasyfil

greasyfil Newbie

i need a pair of steering rack boots for my 1979 601 has any one bought from ldm-tuning? i cant understand how to pay and there postal charges are more than the boots?
  2. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

I bought universal ones from my local motor factors they fitted fine the hardest part was getting the arm off the rack as there's not much room for the puller
  3. greasyfil

greasyfil Newbie

Hello ive got the rack off the car, were you able to obtain the blank boot or did you improvise a flexy boot?
  4. greasyfil

greasyfil Newbie

ive just received a paypal request for 34 euros from LDM for a pair of boots
  5. kev the builder

I used a black fitting I had lying around universal ones cost £4-5
  6. greasyfil

greasyfil Newbie

i will have a look on Ebay
  7. kev the builder

I used my local motor factors as they have several options and I got it straight away
  8. greasyfil

greasyfil Newbie

update to my posting about sourcing steering rack boots,a pair of Bailcast small universal DBSR100 will do the job,will need to suport the closed end boot could be done in various ways, i used a length of piano wire in side the boot secured at the tie wrap end. next chalenge is a drum puller any ideas?
  9. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Many have tried different pullers other than the factory design and come to grief. Talking about the tapered shaft stub axles on the early cars here. That 35 mm nut should be done up really tight and if it is you will struggle without a long bar extension and the factory puller.