1. Trabant Forums is now part of the AutoShrine Network and has moved to a new server
    If anything broke during the move, please contact admin@trabantforums.com
  1. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

So recently, we were out locally in the 1970 Trabant 601 limo, about three miles from home accelerating up a slight hill, when suddenly the engine revved up alarmingly, but the car slowed down to a stop. Even more alarming was the nasty grinding noise coming from the engine/transmission. I stopped the engine and freewheeled to a place off the road, and arranged a lift home and fetched my van to tow the Trabi home. Suggestions as to the cause came from the Facebook club. Clutch failure was the favourite. Anyway, subsequent dismantling showed this

oops1.jpg

oops2.jpg

The clutch parts seemed fine but the flywheel was loose, rocking on its taper even before undoing the 36mm nut. Inspection showed the Woodruff key snapped in two, caused by the last person who serviced the flywheel did not torque it up properly, or use the locking washer properly. Anyway, the nut had come loose through vibration and eventually the stress caused the key to break, causing loss of drive from the engine to the transmission. It seems Woodruff keys aren't used much these days because I had to search the local area stores and garages eventually finding one at a precision engineer's workshop. All fixed now and back on the road.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  2. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

Looks like your getting some practice in removing the engine,if you hadn't been able to get a key you can sometimes make one by cutting one from a piece of scrap steel but it's easier if you can find a replacement one
    Steve likes this.
  3. trondd

trondd Puttering Along

My snowblower uses a woodruff key on the flywheel. I wonder if it'd be the right size. :D
    Steve likes this.
  4. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

Looks like they also over did it with the silicone sealant. Very worrying!

Andy.
  5. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

The trouble with silicone is petrol dissolves it