1. Tim S

Tim S Just Slow, Not Stalin Forum Donor

I haven't posted much lately but that doesn't mean my Trabi has been out of my mind! I have an enormous amount of love for this little car!

I was going to go with a mild restoration but as time progressed I decided to try to do it justice and take it down to the bones and do a full restore. I am attempting to do as much, if not all of the work myself including paint.
    A huge undertaking for someone that has never restored a car before but there is no better time than the present to do it. It should turn out fine.

I've collected quite a few parts and more are on there way across the pond.

Honecker & Meine Trabant.jpg
    All under the careful watch of Staatschef der DDR, Generalsekretär Honecker!

He insists that I get rid of that rust now! Now to up my welding skills.

I will post more photos in the Garage section when I get done procrastinating.

I am also preparing to bombard this site with MANY questions! :)
    RogerDerSchrauber and Berlin89 like this.
  2. Berlin89

Berlin89 Puttering Along

Genosse Erich looks like he approves :p
    Good luck with the project.
  3. Bill

Bill Smoking Along

I did a similar project a couple years ago.
    It went pretty well but I had to sell the car when it was 95% done because of a move.
    Luckily I did not have to do any welding. I outsourced the paint and glass installation.
    Good luck with your project!
  4. Tim S

Tim S Just Slow, Not Stalin Forum Donor

"I outsourced the paint and glass installation."

Bill, that brings up a great point.

Do I risk removing the glass while restoring and repainting or leave well enough along and just mask-up? Opinions pro/con requested.

I would hate to break any glass but the good thing in removing is that I could replace rubber moulding with new. If I did break glass they are fairly easy to replace though breakage from shipping would be a risk and of course shipping cost from Europe.
  5. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

Your better off rrmoving the glass the best bet would be to cut the old rubber to make sure you don't break the glass I was going to do it this way but being a bit tight thought I would save a few quid by just removing the screen and promptly broke it doh! So didn't save anything
  6. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

Shipping cost of windshields from Europe...well, let's just say, it's wicked expensive. See what Martin Heinz says. he might be able to help. But first, as kev says, put in new rubber. I have replaced two windshields in my life. One went smoothly but promptly exploded, the other was lots of swearing and readjustment, but fit fine. AFAIK the latter car is still around today with this windshield. And, no, I reused the old rubber in both of them.
  7. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

Hope your project goes well. I am doing the same except mine is a rolling project. I keep the car running on the road as much as i can will slowly doing the repairs. Each full rear wheel tub replacement took 3 days at my slow pace. The car was off the road for 2 weeks while i did the front end repairs. You are right in doing it all properly. It will save you problems in future years.

Andy.
    Bill likes this.
  8. Bill

Bill Smoking Along

I wanted all new rubber sooo... I cut the old rubber out so I could reduce the risk damaging the glass. I was lookinf for a complete restoration, so that meant new rubber for me anyway.
  9. Fritz

Fritz Newbie

I did a full external respray in my garage. The spraying was done by a professional painter. I made a"room" of plastic innside the garage and sprayed the floor with water. The result was OK. I ordered original paint from Trabantwelt. They told me that I needed 5 liter, but I only used 3 liter.
    My son, who is a glass fitter, removed all the glasses, I'm glad he did that job! With new rubber the assembly was done in an hour.
  10. Bill

Bill Smoking Along

The mobile windshield installation service I hired, almost walked off the job because it was so difficult. It look them all afternoon to install four pieces of glass. It would appear this is not a DIY project for most people.
  11. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Loyal Comrade

its a start ... and have to start some where =)
  12. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

The front windscreen is a doddle to fit you just need a length of thin strong string very old skool