Gotta love the publicity.
    trabant601 likes this.
  5. frogbros

frogbros Von Trabi Forum Donor

Front page in the Journal today!!!!
    trabant601 likes this.
  6. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Boo, the printed version cropped my cars out of the picture!
    trabant601 likes this.
  7. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

Was is really on the front page?
    trabant601, Justin and frogbros like this.
  8. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

The headline to the article was on the front page with a page number to go to.
    trabant601 likes this.
  9. Bill Overbaugh

Bill Overbaugh King Trabi Administrator Forum Donor

Great article. That's awesome... just enough tongue in cheek jokes, but not outright derision! LOL
    trabant601, frogbros and Keri like this.
  10. Keri

Keri Leader

The Eastern European Guy Magnet effect is well documented in Chicago.
    There is however, a one in several thousand chance that the Eastern European Guy drawn in might really hate Trabis... a lot. So far, since 2011, we've met a total of 4 or 5 Trabi Haters™.

Manhattan, you say? I was just there on Sunday! At the People's Climate March.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
    trabant601 and frogbros like this.
  11. frogbros

Keri, yes there are times were you get the Trabi Haters™. I did speak about that during the piece but it was cutout and I guess ended up on the editing floor. My friend owns a German Butcher shop in Ridgewood Queens http://www.morschersporkstore.com/ one of the older butchers there didn't even want to look at it. He grew up in the DDR and did want to bring back any memories. At the German American Parade there were onlookers that would hold their noises and gesture for me to keep driving. Obviously from the West. So there are different reasons as we all know to love or hate the Trabi. For the most part the reaction is always positive. Many of the onlookers actually thanked us for being there and for having the car. Obviously from the East.
    trabant601 likes this.
  12. frogbros

Yes front page.
    trabant601 and Justin like this.
  13. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

Sure was. :)
    trabant601 likes this.
  14. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I can't really say I have encountered any Trabbi haters here in Tennessee. I get more stares, pointers, grins that anything.

What's funny is the most Germans who have talked to me about my Trabant escaped the DDR have nothing bad to say about it. Maybe because they didn't actually live there full term.

I attended a VW show last year and ran into this women who was born there and who's father fled to the west right after she was born and sent for her and her mother three years later was overjoyed to see a Trabant here in Tennessee. She came out to the show to see old air cooled VWs but said seeing a Trabant was totally unexpected and made her day. I'm sure some of the VW guys liked that...

The guy who runs a local German auto repair shop who was born in the DDR but left before they wall was constructed (during the "brain drain" years) said the mechanical design of Trabants were pretty much the same as DKWs and he had worked on those cars for years before VW sent him to the US back in the 1960s and were great cars because they were so simple to work on. I suppose he wished all cars these days were like Trabants because he could do any repair on 10 of them in the same time it took to do any repair on a modern car.

I did get a dirty look from this one German lady but really sure if it was over my car. She runs an animal shelter/rescue here in town and anytime I'm at the vet or Pet Smart she seems to be there.

So I was at Pet Smart one day and as I was leaving the parking lot in front of the store as she was taking in this rather large dog that seemed to be giving her trouble. I'm not sure if the noise of my car was scaring the dog or the fact she was just having a time trying to control the dog. Either or, I thought it was funny. Next time I run into her I'll tell her who I am because she knows my father well and ask her if my Trabbi scared her dog.
  15. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

16. frogbros

today the guys from Bild.de are coming over to do a piece as well. I will keep you all posted.......
    trabant601 likes this.
  17. frogbros

trabant601, vdubbin and Keri like this.
  18. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Great article!
    trabant601 and Keri like this.
  19. frogbros

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    trabant601, vdubbin and Keri like this.
  20. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

That's an incredible photo, how did you capture it?
    trabant601 likes this.