1. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

My brother and I are planning our longest trip with Angela this August. We're heading from Limerick in Ireland across the Irish Sea, to the Retro Rides Gathering in Shelsley Walsh in the UK.

The total round trip is about 1200 kilometers, covering the width of Ireland, the top of Wales, and a chunk of the Midlands, west of the M6.

[​IMG]

Last year we did this trip in my MX5, which although is quicker, and more reliable than the Trabi, it's not quite as spacious, and we want a bit of an adventure.
    We'll be buying the best breakdown cover we can find, and staying off the motorway.

In preparing the car we're looking at packing a few spares, and getting the car right before we go.

Spares: Fan Belt(s), spark plugs, leads, coils, anything else?
    Tool: Socket and spanners, Booster pack, foot pump, fuel cans.

Anything else you would recommend? We'll be taking out time, I'm thinking we should get to Dublin in a day, ferry overnight, then get the second leg done in another.

Also if anyone has any interesting suggestions for other Petrolhead things to do while we're over, we'd love to hear about them!
  2. Matteo

Matteo Premium Member Forum Donor

I consider Trabi a reliable car. If the engine is in healthy conditions, there is very little that can give up.
    At your spare parts list I would add a used, known working, EBZA box, if Angela runs with this system.
  3. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

I think it does, Matteo. At least, I've a, EBZA-shaped black box under the bonnet, on the bulkhead, and no points or distributor anywhere...
    I'd pick up a spare wheel if I could find one over hereā€¦
  4. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

PLEASE take photos and video's that will be such an amazing trip. I am jealous and wish I could join you in that.
  5. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

I'll have a full report when (if?! :D ) we get back.

Ferry has been booked, out on Wednesday 27th, back on the following Tuesday Sep 02. Planning on a Morgan factory tour, and possibly the Motor Heritage Museum, depending on time and distances.
  6. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

I'd love to see that....I'd love to also see the old DMC factory in Belfast....I'm sure you'll make it back (one way or the other). I honestly don't think I would personally have the patience to do a trek like that, but it would be a lot of fun.
  7. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I found a good potentional photo-op.

If I could talk my wife into the drive. About 150 miles from here, there is a German company in Spartanburg, SC with two pieces of the Berlin Wall in front of it.

[​IMG]

I would love to park my Trabant in front of it and snap a photo. That's the closest place I have found in the United States with remnants of the wall that are not baracaded or roped off to where you can actually park a car in front of.

I'm not sure if there is a parking lot in front of it but I would imagine if it's in the middle of a lawn the company wouldn't mind me parking in front of it just long enough to snap a photo. Considering the significance of the wall and the Trabant.
    Last edited: May 3, 2014