1. DDR

DDR Loyal Comrade

2. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Speaking from experience you just can't tell the condition of the body from pictures. It does look like a fresh paint job and who knows what's under it. Trabants were never meant to be that shiny. So looks like this guys deal is importing them and selling them cheap and quick in the UK. I have to say, his feedback is quite good. You just can't tell how much more you'll have to invest before it is roadworthy and passes inspections etc. Did you ask him if he would do the MOT or at least tell you why it won't pass. I'd be concerned about hidden rust.
  3. DDR

DDR Loyal Comrade

Yes, I did ask him today if there was any rust . He replied there was some surface rust but no welding needed . He would put an MOT on it for me . I was also concerned about hidden rust . My gut feeling says somethings not right.
  4. TNTrabi

TNTrabi Lord Trabi Forum Donor

Looking at the pictures the car looks good, but being a duroplast body it's hard to tell the condition of the underside. If you can get some pictures of the floor in front of the drivers seat with the carpet pulled up out of the way and photos of the rear hatch at the bottom inside portion those are 2 areas prone to rust. His description was vague at best but it is a late 80's model, 12 volt with electronic ignition. It should have the fuel saving carburetor, 28h1-1, and the cv axles not the hinge shaft type and an alternator. If you can get a few more pictures of what he is calling 'surface rust' and they look ok then make the call on buying or not.
    Good luck
  5. BillyKnight

BillyKnight Newbie

Hello,
    I bought a similar car from this seller and would whole-heartedly recommend. It looks as if the cars get repaired and resprayed in Hungary then come over here pretty much ready to go. Mine has had new floors, boot section and front shock mounts, all done very nicely. Mechanically it was good although I had to do some work on the brakes which was simple and cheap. Allow a little time and money to get the car fully sorted but it is probably in very good condition, go for it!
    Billy.
  6. DDR

DDR Loyal Comrade

Thanks TNTrabi and BillyKnight . I was interested in this one as it is 1) it is a Kombi 2) it is Blue 3) it is a later one with an alternator . It is a bonus if it is a fuel saving carb and has the cv axles . I will contact him shortly to discuss additional photos.
  7. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

I dont really like the fuel saver carb. caues more trouble than good. just about impossible to adjust, and does'nt save much fuel. :)
    Mine runs way better with and older carb, i just disassembled and cleaned. :)
  8. DDR

DDR Loyal Comrade

Hi Matias, I wonder why the newer carb is worse o_O?? It Might be an option to put an older carb on the car. Why are they impossible to adjust? are there too many screws to adjust on it or is it just a bad design?
  9. DDR

DDR Loyal Comrade

Just checked my emails and he has replied, I am just waiting for him to send some photos to my phone . I will upload them when I get them so all you experts can see for yourself what state it is in !
  10. DDR

DDR Loyal Comrade

@BillyKnight , Could you tell me how much the U.K road tax was for a year. Did you get stung for import duty when you registered it with the DLVA ? I need to know these things before I commit myself . Thanks :)
  11. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

There is only one screw to adjust, and that does not really make that much of a difference, so if it aint running right, you have to take it to a trabi expert to get it adjusted. i think there is some adjustments inside, but not sure. :)
    Its just over complicated, and the old type is lawnmower simple. :D Mine does 10,5 km/l on the old style carb, and did 12 km/L on the never style carb. when i pulled the choke to start it, it fired and went right to full revs, so all people think you are an idiot when starting in the morning. On the old type i just pull the choke, start engine, push in choke, and keeps it running on the pedal with a little revs until it idles on its own. :)
  12. DDR

DDR Loyal Comrade

Ok , Here are the photos he has just sent me . Any honest opinions / comments etc welcome :)

Attached Files:

trabant601 likes this.
  13. DDR

DDR Loyal Comrade

And a few more ..... IMG_6253.jpg IMG_6253.jpg IMG_6497.jpg IMG_6497.jpg IMG_6253.jpg

Attached Files:

14. BillyKnight

BillyKnight Newbie

OK, the car looks very good. Call me and I'll fill you in on the import stuff and biz with the DVLA. I am on 07824-409711.
    Billy.
  15. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I've actually ran both of these carbs I rebuilt myself. I would probably still be running the 28 H1-1 carb if the screws in the breaker plate had not vibrated loose! Which caused the engine to missfire and smoke in 3rd gear. Since I had been having carb issues, I just assumed the carb was the problem. Swapped carbs and the problem still existed!

Actually there is nothing inside the older carb to rebuild! Just give it a good cleaning, replace the float valve and/or float if they appear messed up. I could not even find any rubber O-rings in the older style. Not even under the idle mixture screw.

Matias is right, there are more parts inside the 28 H1-1 carb. However I seemed to think the engine actually ran smoother and was easier to start. But I only went on one voyage. I did like the fact they tied to choke and throttle together. Which makes them easier to warm up on cold mornings.
  16. DDR

DDR Loyal Comrade

Ok , well I am currently negotiating a price with the vendor . I had a talk with BillyKnight on the phone last night and he has guided me through registering a Trabi in the U.K . I will keep you all updated on progress and if the deal comes off.
  17. DDR

DDR Loyal Comrade

Ok, I bought it !!!!! . It arrives on Friday . I have a huge smile on my face but feel aprehensive at the same time :confused:
    Give me reassurance I did the right thing! :D...This is my FIRST Trabi after all ....
    Andrew likes this.
  18. TNTrabi

TNTrabi Lord Trabi Forum Donor

Welcome to the trabi life. Don't worry, it's a simple car and a blast to own/drive. It's not like having any other car, it's a lifestyle. You'll see.
    Congrats!
    John Kalina and Justin like this.
  19. DDR

DDR Loyal Comrade

Thanks TNTrabi .. I am sure it IS a lifestyle :D
  20. Thinsid

Thinsid Loyal Comrade

Congratulations on buying one, Wish I could!!

From what I've heard it's not difficult to register in UK, and at least someone here could guide you through the process. UK road tax on a Trabant (IF it's too young to be tax exempt) is £230 per year - A Trabi is charged at Standard rate. It IS NOT worth taxing a vehicle for six months, if you're not planning to use it All year round cash in the remainder of the tax, After checking the relevant conditions!

Happy Motoring.