1. Hanni

Hanni Puttering Along

The Trabant is not the only piece of ostalgia that I own and operate. I look around on eBay every now and then and place a bid here and there on things that really appeals to me for one reason or another.

And my latest purchase is this:
    [​IMG]
    It's a Typ F.2.2-69 toaster, made in the DDR in 1987.
    The little black plastic lever on the right opens the sides, where you put the bread pieces and then close, toasting the pieces against the hot wiring in the middle of the machine.

You have to open the sides and turn the bread pieces yourself, or only one side of them will be toasted.

There is no indicator of when the toast is ready. It'll keep on toasting until it burns. Nor is there any on or off button - pulling the plug is the only way to go.
    Lovely piece of machinery. Still works just fine. :D

As far as I can tell, toasters like these (with opening sides) were not produced in the West after the 50:ies.
    trabant601 likes this.
  2. Andrew

Andrew Most Powerful Leader Moderator Forum Donor

That is awesome.

My grandparents had a similar type of toaster up until the 2000s. Not sure how old it was or what brand.
    They last forever since there is nothing really to break, except if you burn out the element...
    Also they are fantastic and giving you burns, I remember getting a few on the tips of my fingers from it growing up.
    Justin likes this.
  3. Bennyahc

Bennyahc Puttering Along

I want a Pitiplatch doll
  4. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

The museum at Greiz has one like this and many more. Thanks for sharing.
  5. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I have some pictures of things in that museum. Anyone want to see them?