1. Ian

Ian Loyal Comrade

Hi All,

In the throws of just re-building all my steering column AND gearchange rubber bushes/fitments, with all new components!!

Have scanned the german workshop and owners manuals...and nowhere, does it MENTION the CORRECT lubricants, for covering the rubber components, where they contact the steel steering column AND the long, aluminium gearchange rod.

Years ago, with Renault 4's and Citroen 2cv's A TYPE OF TALCUM POWDER was specified, as it lubricated the rubber/metal, but did NOT allow the rubbers to deteriorate, unlike if petroleum-based products were used.

Has anyone a definitive answer/specification?!....
  2. Ian

Ian Loyal Comrade

In absence of any replys upto now, I am going to bite the bullet and plonk for using red. brake-type grease, which should be ok to use, as it does NOT soften/age rubber seals, etc. .......Here I go!!!!!!!

If anybody has any belated suggestions, please DO drop me a line though.
  3. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Well there's silicone grease that won't harm rubber . . . .
  4. Ian

Ian Loyal Comrade

Fair enough..hadn't thought of that one!!....Hadn't resorted to applying the red brake syst. grese,....so, may well give the silicone grease a go!

Many thanks.
  5. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

Just use your basic grease gun lube as you would for tie rod ends. The king pins are covered with rubber boots, same as the steering gear. Shouldn't hurt it.
  6. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

I don't think they would have special grease in East Germany they would use what they had but a rubber friendly grease may help with the longevity
  7. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

Red rubber grease.

Andy.