1. Ian

Ian Loyal Comrade

Hi again all,

One other query.

Since starting to drive my Trabi, it is appearant that the 2 spoke std. steering wheel id at 10 to 4 ...and not 1/4 to 3....when traveling in a strainght line.
    As far as I am aware the car's tyres did not appear to have scrubbed/won badly and indicate that the front axle tracking IS correct.
    The sterring wheel is held on the top of the steering column with a tapered pin, that passes through the main tube, via the 2 holes......therefore, unlike splined columns, it cannot be just re-positioned on another spline, to get steering wheel in correct place?!
    The bottom of the column is NOT splined either, as far as I can tell....and is located on FLATS on the steering rack input shaft, by means of a clamp.
    Therefore, I cannot fathom out how to re-mount the steering wheel, without mod'ing/welding the colum top holes, which is pretty drastic!!....****ANY thoughts/pointers, would be appreciated****

Thanks ....and regards.
  2. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

adjyst the left tierod in and the right out equal amounts. it would be best to have an alignment tool hooked up to make sure the toe in stays the same. :)
    Toe in should be as close to 0 as possible, but never toe out. :)
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  3. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

As mati0921 says if you don't have a tracking gauge you can use 2 straight lengths of steel or wood on blocks set against the wheels and measure between them it sounds a bit Heath robson but works, if you run a string line around all 4 wheels with the steering wheel straight it helps to show which way the wheels are pointing i.e. To the right or left to make adjustment easier
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  4. Ian

Ian Loyal Comrade

Many thanks!
  5. Ian

Ian Loyal Comrade

Thanks very much Kev...Hope the Kombi's still going strong?!
  6. kev the builder

Steves got the kombi now it was going well last I heard
  7. Ian

Ian Loyal Comrade

Hi,...How come it's stillon your tag?...You MUST have got another Trabi, by now!!? Do you mean Steve Moses? Regards.
  8. kev the builder

Hi yes Steve Moses I'm still between trabis I've looked at a couple but they wasn't very good
  9. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

TAW is still going strong and is booked on the ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam this November bound for Berlin to join in the celebrations! Must change my profile picture when Kev does his. Might confuse people!
  10. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

How did you get round the missus or doesn't she know?
  11. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Kev, besides the wonderful TAW, I have a couple of Trabis you might be interested in, a Kombi and a saloon. PM me or give us a ring if interested.
  12. Ian

Ian Loyal Comrade

Good to hear Steve,...well done you! Plenty of room in the Kombi, for travelling to and from Germany.
  13. Ian

Ian Loyal Comrade

Yes,..the missus does know about my 600RS, from when I HAD to grab it from Sam Glover at Practical Classics Magzine, who was downsizing his collection 2-3 yrs. ago!! She has lived with it residing in the gargae and me working on it periodically, since then. However, we are in the process of hopefully selling our home and moving to mid Wales, this year....so, big upheaval anyway afoot....Trabi is going with us for sure, though!!
  14. Ian

Ian Loyal Comrade

Got an Austin A30 2-door sallon currently, in storage,....so, more than enough projects to contend with for the future years?!...Thanks for the offer of another Trabi/s, though! Appreciated.
  15. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

Get it tracked. They will lock the wheel in centre position the track up the car.

Andy.
  16. Ian

Ian Loyal Comrade

Going to do it asap next week..Had already arranged it, with my local tyre depot, that I use. Thanks. Ian
  17. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

You think a tire store is going to do an alignment on a Trabant? Is this some alternate universe story?
  18. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

^^^ Why is this? Have you had problems before?

Andy.
  19. Ian

Ian Loyal Comrade

Yes, they can...following 1 x abortive trip last week, as the Trabant is too narrow to get onto their modern day ramps and the tracking guages!! Going back next week, by prior appt. to have the car lifted on twin post ramp and then lowered onto 4 x metal tower frames and the tracking guages. Bit of a challenge,...but, the onyl way locally to get the guages under the wheels and beable to access the track rod adjuster nuts safely. Watch this space....although I am surprised that more owners haven't had this problem in the U.K.?...Perhaps they just don't get their tracking accurately adusted? lol!!
  20. Ian

Ian Loyal Comrade

See above Andy,...in my reply to Wartburg 353.