1. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

What have you seen attached to or added to Trabants which could be called accessories?
  2. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

1scvbn.png IMG_4555.JPG IMG_4558.JPG IMG_4559.JPG IMG_4560.JPG Dachzelt seen at the 17th ITT in Zwickau June 2013.
  3. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Luggage or roof racks are popular and useful. Here are a couple seen in Zwickau at the ITT.

Attached Files:

• a.JPG
      a.JPG
      File size:
      276.9 KB
      Views:
    • b.JPG
      b.JPG
      File size:
      229.6 KB
      Views:
    • c.JPG
      c.JPG
      File size:
      249 KB
      Views:
    • d.JPG
      d.JPG
      File size:
      252.9 KB
      Views:
  4. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

e.JPG f.JPG g.JPG h.JPG Here are some more with other stuff to see in the background.
  5. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I forgot, they are called Dach(gepäck)träger and new ones are as good as old ones. These I saw were some nice old ones. I didn't see any homemade but that, in my opinion, would be the best.
  6. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

This may sound like a dumb question after I've owned my Trabant for almost a year but what is the purpose of those clear deflectors that are mounted at the top of the driver and passenger windows?

Are they to help channel air into the car or away from driver/passenger's head? I haven't removed them to see what the difference is but my hair still get's messed up while driving and can't tell if anymore air enters the car with the window rolled down than any of my other cars.

[​IMG]
  7. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

I like the red one with the windshield visor. Nice look. And the yellow "ute" or pickup in the background too. Is the little bike on the roof considered an accessory too, in case you break down you can still ride home?
  8. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Hi Turbo, That isn't a dumb question at all. Tall or big people might tend to break those off, like me, just seems to happen to me. I know the difference. There is not enough fresh air coming in the front of the car to make it comfortable when it is really hot out. Cracking the window an inch or so will give a nice flow of air right down the side of the door. Without the shield there it is uncomfortable, to me anyway, how it blows air on me. Window down all the way doesn't make much difference. UV exposure gives those shields a nice cloudy, sometimes yellow, patina. I love it, cracks and tape on them is even better.
  9. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

The winshield visor is the next accessory I took some pics of.
  10. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

h.JPG i.JPG
    I thought I took more pics of these. They look sharp but I doubt that they do much.
  11. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

k.JPG j.JPG Toilettenpapier Hüttchen is what those TP covers are called. Other nice things in the windows too. Not sure about that dog that is in both of these. Anybody know if it was a trend or just now a trend.
  12. turbofiat124

The crocheted toilet paper cover baffeled me until i learned in the DDR you had to supply you're own toilet paper when you went to a public bathroom. Was this true even in resturants?
  13. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I dare say, no, they did have paper in cafes, resturants, and such as tourist attractions. I spent enough time in East Germany to say it with confidence. The full time employee who stood in the doorway of every bathroom was sometimes disturbing. If you didnt have change to put in the dish or the persons hand, you would be scolded. On the road I always had pocketed the papertowels from the DR trains to use.
  14. turbofiat124

OK so why did people carry a roll of TP in their cars?
  15. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Parks and road trips, rest stops had no toilets unless there was an Intershop there. Those were only on the Transit stretches of the Autobahn to and from Berlin. I suspect that camping would require it also. Plenty of people didn't ever put that in the window or even have it in the car. There was plenty of squat business in the bush or on the curb, I would be sad without some TP in those case. Have a look at the movie short Trojan Cow too... here is the whole movie, filmed in California............ http://www.tiburonfilmfestival.com/filmInfo.php?film_id=3036 . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intershop
  16. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

I like the Wohnwagen, I am on a kick to get one, I am going to drag JASONCHAD into it too and talk Aaron to letting me throw them into his container, if/when he ever does one.
  17. Aaron

Aaron Leader

If one could be located in Hungary I would be all for splitting a container when I do it....Asking my in laws who are visiting right now and they have never seen one in Hungary...Guess it doesnt mean they dont exist, but they definitely arent all that common. My father in law has seen them on holiday weekends in East Germany years ago...So maybe that is where the search should be concentrated on...

BTW..How much do they weigh? A motorcycle popup might be a good way to do some touring in a trabi if you cant find one..I know I know not original... but it would look pretty cool if it was painted to match I think.
  18. phi

phi Loyal Comrade

trabant601: I think we've met each other in Zwickau :)

The green Trabant with the roof tent is mine. I think lot of people took photos of the 4 cars with roof tent and trailers :cool:
  19. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I loved that you all put them together. I need to be remined if I met you. I had overload those few days.
  20. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

This little 6v fan was in one of my cars. The suction cup has hardened but it has the nice makers stamp on it with the classic 1 in triangle. That identifies it as made in DDR. it must have vibrated so the user wrapped some rubber glove fingers around the base and suction cup. I will put the plug back on it and give it a try.
    IMG_20130801_195141.jpg IMG_20130801_195202.jpg IMG_20130801_195311.jpg