1. Trabant Forums is now part of the AutoShrine Network and has moved to a new server
    If anything broke during the move, please contact admin@trabantforums.com
  1. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I've tried it on main and reserve and I get the same result. I've seen lawnmower fuel filters mounted horizontally have air trapped in the top but never had any issues with mowers . As far as the Kinetic goes, if I build it , I'm keeping it!
  2. Fritz

Fritz Newbie

My 1988 Trabi has passed 56000 km. At how many km is it necessary to do a full motor overhaul ? How many km should a Trabi normally run ? Maybe a compression test will tell me the condition of pistonrings and cylinders.
    By the way: My Trabi is now painted and ready for the roads at 67 degrees North. Maybe it is the northenmost Trabi in the world ??
    Today it was controlled by the authorities and license plates are on its way
  3. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

The EPA came to our plant today for something. Not that anyone called on us or anything. Probably just to see our records. The guy over the shop said the inspector saw my car in the parking lot and asked him what is was. He said, " I cant remember what James said is was but I know he said it was made in East Germany". Boy will that guy be in for a surprise if he looks it up on Google and sees it creates 9 times the pollutants than V8 powered truck!
  4. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

Finally have some good news!

The USPS found the "Misplaced" crankshaft, and I got it all back together.

Runs great! Drove it off and on from 2pm, until 9pm today. Over 150 miles of high speed, and mountain driving. About 100F too. The car now runs the way it should have the last time it was apart.

You know, after 3 engine tear downs, " I'm starting to get the hang of it!".

If this engine blows, I'm done with Trabi motors, going for a mini truck- or geo metro engine...
  5. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

Trabants are very forgiving cars. There is a lot of play (tolerances?) built into them. I especially like the ball bearings in the motor!

If the motor is working OK, should be fine by now. Check the seals and after 200 km, check the cylinder head gaskets. Those- at least the top gaskets- have to be torqued just right. The foot gaskets, just tighten them as best you can. If you keep the engine sealed, the motor is "bulletproof".
  6. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

So far after the new crank, it has made it 1700 km. I keep checking the bolts, everything seems fine for now. I've been running 40:1, makes me feel better!

Other than some misc cable adjustments, it runs consistent. Broke all of the rotten push tabs that hold the engine blanket on, so it stays in the trunk.

The car really likes higher speed stuff, even does well on the interstate. Keep it under 105kph, and it isn't bad at all. After that- all of the imperfections show up( tires, squeaks-etc).