1. AdamSin12

AdamSin12 Newbie

Hello dear fellow trabant owners,
    I was wondering, is it possible to move my trabant's Fuel tank to the rear into the trunk?
    It's not like I don't like the placement of the gas tank, but rather I am wondering if it is technically possible
    to put a fuel pump and all of that "new car stuff" into my loved Trabbi.
    Thank you for all future replies,
    AdamSin12
  2. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

Hi, I'm sure you could do it.You would have to find a way to vent it out of the car. Another tank would be a better idea. The pump would have to be incredibly low psi/bar.
  3. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

The problem is there is no "safe" place to install it back there - it's all crumple zone. But they did it anyway in the Trabi 1.1, so you could get that tank with the vented filler and find an electric fuel pump that is compatible with carburetors and 6 volt power. Or maybe just get a Trabi 1.1
  4. AdamSin12

AdamSin12 Newbie

I know right. They did it on the 1.1. By the way, I have a 1985 model with 12V :)
    This whole thread was just about "You think it will maybeee possible?"
  5. AdamSin12

AdamSin12 Newbie

Wow, I may actually look into installing an aux tank, because when I want to go to my grandma I have to have at least 3 20l canisters in the trunk. Maybe I could try to install it instead of reserve on my shtoff valve with a dedicated switch on the dash or something with relays and sensors.
  6. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

If you're carrying around that much gasoline you're a ticking time bomb anyway. Better off on a roof rack I think. Why not just stop and buy gas?
    mbeamish likes this.
  7. AdamSin12

AdamSin12 Newbie

Especially with that Commie car quality, right? Bad idea, I know. But again, repeating myself, I just want to know if it is possible to do it.
  8. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I thought about the roof idea with a valve on the line to the main tank. I think that is your best bet. So I agree with you Adam and you Wart. Have fun.
  9. AdamSin12

AdamSin12 Newbie

I'm fully agreeing with trabant601. The roof rack is the best, smartest and safest option (Or just buy gas, right Wart?)
  10. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

I recall an interview with Werner Lang in which he said they thought the rear would be the best place for it, but crash tests found the most stable part of the car was the engine to firewall area. From what I gathered from his interviews, they tested the living daylights out of these little cars and sneaked improvements in under the Communist Party's eyes whenever they could get away with it.