1. Trabant Forums is now part of the AutoShrine Network and has moved to a new server
    If anything broke during the move, please contact admin@trabantforums.com
  1. Penfold

    Penfold Newbie

    Hello,

    My 1986 trabi has developed a new running pattern which I’m trying to source the cause of.

    When being driven it:
    - runs fine when accelerating
    - runs fine when idling
    - kangaroos under gentle constant throttle

    It was fine until recent runs. Fuel is only a few weeks old and the exhaust is on tight. First thouht was the loose flange connection I found, which addressed an issue I had with idling.

    Any views on where to look first? I’ve got a set of seals for the carb and was debating stripping, cleaning and rebuilding it as the first step. If it’s unlikely to be the cause then I’ll leave it alone!

    If I do need to take it off, is there an easy way to get to the flange fasteners. On quick inspection it looks a pain!

    Thanks,
    Penfold
  2. kev the builder

    kev the builder Loyal Comrade

    It sounds like a carb issue to get to the flange bolts it's easier if you loosen the alternator bolts and drop the belt off so you can swing the alternator lower out of the way it's still a bit fiddly getting the bolt nearest the gearbox but not to bad
  3. Penfold

    Penfold Newbie

    Thanks Kev.
  4. Steve

    Steve Loyal Comrade

    Both my Trabbis lurch a bit under gentle acceleration or constant speed especially in 2nd and 3rd gear. Not so much in 4th gear. I put this down to a natural 2 stroke behaviour as you don't get a smooth firing pattern, just like when it's idling. Or it could be your plugs are fouled up and need changing.
  5. kev the builder

    kev the builder Loyal Comrade

    As Steve said two strokes hunt on light throttle but shouldn't kangaroo but it can be difficult to determine what's normal if you've never experiaced a trabi before
  6. Penfold

    Penfold Newbie

    Hi,

    Thanks for the responses. Taken me a while to find the time to resolve.

    I got a carb maintenance kit from LDW which included new foat, seals etc. I serviced the carb (full of detritus) and reassembled:
    - float was set such that it didn’t stop fuel flowing in.
    - adjusted which meant that fuel didn’t get in (found out as I got to the end of the road).
    - adjusted just right (after a few iterations!).

    New polymer seal unfortunately didn’t take too well to exposure to fuel, this resulted in swelling making it useless for its intended purpose as the lid was going on and off to set the float right.

    Any way, car taken out for a run and she’s much happier now.

    In short, solution was to clean the carb and change nothing!

    Thanks,
    Penfold
  7. kev the builder

    kev the builder Loyal Comrade

    That's good then

Share This Page