1. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

The P50 looks like the one that has been for sale in Florida on eBay.
  2. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

probably is, there aren't many people bringing these cars in. I know Zoltan and his friend import a lot.
  3. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

Yeah it's the same one.

I had a chance to buy the other 601s for $3500 but was afraid to buy them for fear I would never find the time to work on them and it would kill me.

I was hoping to get mine painted over the winter but it never happened. I have to pull the fenders and quarterpanels off first to fix some minor rust in the wheelwells and figure it would be best to do that before having it painted.
  4. turbofiat124

Here is the DDR badge I got. I polished the right half so far. I hope I can touch up the black and make it look nice. It's rather large though.

[​IMG]
  5. Bountyflyer

Bountyflyer Premium Member Forum Donor

This posting should be right after the red Yugo picture...

Nice plate! BG is for Beograd or Belgrad....I've seen Yugos, but never had one... The last one I've seen was in Charlotte NC on the Power Tour! Was it yours?!

image.jpg
  6. Bountyflyer

WHAT A COOL COUCH!!!!
  7. Bountyflyer

Among other things, my most favourite Trabi thing was the clock from Keri! Unfortunately my Hungarian race car driver friend (whom I got the yellow race car from) cried until I've gave it to him....

The Traban logo and other Trabant signs are protected by German copy rights. An individual went in to the pattern office in Germany after the wall fell and told them that he is part of some sort of Trabant club and want to protect the name and the logo for the future. He wasn't but wanted to make money....So now he goes around to car shows with policemen on his shoulders and collects money from vendors selling anything Trabant on them.... BUT his patent does not covers the States, so Keri could technically sell the clocks or anything else with Trabant on it....
  8. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

I have my trabi (with original jack for wheel change) and there was a plate on the dash with a picture of a p50 kombi (?) :
    [​IMG]
    DSC04306 by matiasbendtsen, on Flickr
    My grandad also gave this Maisto model, which is still in original box after 15 years. :)
    [​IMG]
    DSC04307 by matiasbendtsen, on Flickr
    it is made in china, so it is not of any value to anyone else but me. ;)
    The factory also got it all wrong, they made the body of metal and the chassis of plastic...o_O
  9. Bountyflyer

I wear this on my work tie.....

image.jpg
  10. turbofiat124

Yugos are fun but they don't seem to appreciate having their power increased. They are front wheel drive and lightweight which causes poor traction under full throttle. I can spin the front wheels at 30 mph in 2nd gear under full throttle at full boost( 7 lbs) . Nothing really to brag about there. That just means the car has poor traction. Running 80 series tires is not helping matters.

Yeah I had to choose my own scripting and wanted something authentic looking. Serbia uses two letters for the district or city then six numbers. So chose BG for Belgrade and 357 and 765 for the numbers which are the first three digits of my home and cell phone!

Kragujevac, Serbia was where the car was built. Not sure what letters are used for this district or city.

Some people put something stupid on their repro Euro number plates. There is a guy here in town I pass every now and then who drives a flashy Mercedes that starts with "Czech" something or another on his front number plate. Assuming he is a Czech emmigrant. He flashes his lights at me when I'm in my Trabbi. He's probably thinking, why one earth would somebody chose to drive a Trabbi in the US when you can own a flashy Mercedes?

No that's not my Yugo but I may know him from the Fiat/Yugo community. So you live in Charlotte? That's not really that far from where I live here in the East Tennessee.
  11. Bountyflyer

I live in Houston, but I was on a 3600 jurney with other 1700 cars and the end of the tour was in Charlotte.

I use to go to Yugoslavia to the sea every summer with my family. We drove a kombi and a sedan Trabant on the trip! I always looked at license plates, and the cities they are from. Like SA was Sarajevo (before it was bombed flat) or MO was Mostar where I walked across a 600 years old bridge.... Lather it was blowen up... Sad story...

I think a Yugo is just as unusual as a Trabant, I just don't have any past memories with it.

Talkin of Mercedes, I've bought a 300SD with the intent of putting it's engine/trans into my 53 Chevy truck. It's a perfect fit.

I love your man cave!!!!
  12. JASONCHAD

13. JASONCHAD

Here is the image Trabi Transformer.jpg
    Justin likes this.
  14. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Made from tin cans, reportedly in Africa. I bought one in the lipstick of the of the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Ged├Ąchtnis-Kirchen in Berlin. That store was closed when I was there a few weeks ago, perhaps only during the renovation, the whole complex is in scaffolding so much that it looks like a new building with a tip of the old church sticking out. The store is called, 3rd world store.
    IMG_4666.JPG
    Wartburg353W and Hanni like this.
  15. Bountyflyer

I just found this East German made light. I bought it in Erfurt when I was 15.....amlost still works!

image.jpg
    Justin likes this.
  16. turbofiat124

Found this on Ebay.de . I got two of them. These are the ones I had to exchange $US to Euros thanks to my German boss and send cash through the mail because I neglected to read the guy didn't take Paypal. Doing an international bank transfer was going to cost more than the items+shipping themselves!

I hope this is a real piece of the Berlin Wall. But considering that the wall was almost 100 miles long and how many slabs of it remains in lotssomeone would have to be really dishonest to stick a an ordinary piece of concrete in it. But it has a certification on the back of it. The other item has some day glow green spraypaint on it.

I read that the concrete slabs used to build the fourth stage of the wall (this piece) in 1980 contained asbestos. Mostly concrete but asbestos was used as a filler or extending agent to save on concrete. Any truth to that?

[​IMG]
    Justin likes this.
  17. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

18. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Kinder Surprise or Egg toy inside. I ate the egg while still in Germany, customs would fine me $300 plus if I imported (and was discovered) it as sold in Germany (it is true, some 1930's law against mixing confections with non edible things in the USA). As you can see, it is about HO scale or 1:87 scale. IMG_20130805_172149.jpg
    Wartburg353W likes this.
  19. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

There are little, well detailed, HO or 1:87 scale gum erasers for sale in some souvenir shops. I don't remember how many colors there were.
    IMG_20130805_173804.jpg
  20. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Bought it at a Modellokomotivenliebhaberverein shop. Real word. It is not Herpa, thus no box and no zoom in on the Herpa (the company that is famous for such things and happens to have designed the Trabant NT). This one is HO scale. IMG_20130805_174521.jpg