1. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

Not sure if I following you about eating the egg toy? What is that?
  2. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

3. turbofiat124

OK so the toy is in an egg which is encased in a piece of chocolate. I could somewhat see how it could be a choking hazzard for young kids but can't beleive US customs would goto the trouble of confiscating something like this at the airport.

When I went to Europe I brought back all kinds of car related goodies. I pulled the price tags off or threw the packaging away to save space so customs had no idea how much money I spent on this stuff. Then declared 3/4 of what I was allowed to bring in without having to pay import duties. Who knows I probably didn't even go over the limit but felt like I was getting away with something.

I remember the good old days where you could strategically pack stuff to maximize space such as laying some of my clothes flat inside a sleeping bag then rolling it up. That was before 911.
  4. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I saw a yahoo news thing on it recently. http://voices.yahoo.com/why-kinder-eggs-banned-us-can-545918.html otherwise I would not have known that I probably violated that law my self once. I don't recall for sure. Maybe i bought that thing here somehow. There is a new push recently at customs to detect and fine people who fib about being on a farm or having meat or seeds. I understand fully. I wonder if the toy in Cracker Jack changed when we were kids because of some new law. It used to be really cool. Now it is lame.
  5. Bountyflyer

Bountyflyer Premium Member Forum Donor

WOW! A Kinder Trabi! I always bringin Kinder eggs from Mexico and Europe for my kids. In fact there are a few stores in Houston where I can buy them. I'm not sure about this law, but in this country I beleive everything. I always heard that some lawyer sued them and therefore you can buy those eggs in any country in the world except in the US. I even seen them in China and Japan!
  6. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Hope you find a Trabi in one.
  7. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

This collection of N Scale size, not sure what ratio scale that is, is great to use in the family Monopoly game. IMG_20130809_182908.jpg IMG_20130809_182926.jpg
    Justin likes this.
  8. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

trabant601 Eric....I told you if/when I won that auction I would show you....So I won the action and it's being shipped now, should be soon. For the time being I can share the pictures from eBay.

172.jpg 672.jpg
    trabant601 likes this.
  9. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Love it. Congrats. thanks for sharing
  10. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

I think I was the person who bid against you
  11. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I will bid on one if there is one again.
  12. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

JASONCHAD it's the only one I know so probably and if you bid it up to $5-$6 then yes you were. trabant601 if there is another I come across I'll have to let you guys know
  13. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

You know those lime green ones that were at WalMart in sets of three cars (one a Trabant) and in a larger set (one a Trabant) for a bargain. That is the burned one and was recovered from my house after a total loss fire. The other is from the Trabi Treffen 2013 IMG_20130813_152156.jpg for 50 Euro cent. Matchbox size, do or did you have Matchbox cars in the UK? Hotwheels?
  14. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Here are two versions of Trabant. They are reportedly, by people on ebay, as 1:43 scale. I bought them in Germany over the years. Most interestingly in Frankfurt, am Oder at the Polish boarder before they entered the EU. The boarder guards, Polish, hadn't seen a US passport for a while with a person walking across the bridge. Anyway, here they are....
    IMG_20130814_155605.jpg IMG_20130814_155616.jpg IMG_20130814_155627.jpg
  15. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

16. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I saw one 1:18 scale of a different color somewhere. Does anyone have one that isn't orange? It is a very nice model but only the doors open. IMG_20130814_161520.jpg IMG_20130814_161546.jpg
  17. turbofiat124

If the orange one is the one built by Vitesse, I have one just like it but the hood opens on mine. But the trunk doesn't.
  18. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I would like to see that. That sounds like the coolest thing.
  19. turbofiat124

I'll try to snap a photo of it tommorrow with the hood open. The engine compartment is quite detailed. Maybe Vitesse got cheap later on. I got mine back in the mid 90s. At the time I did not think I would ever be able to own a Trabant so a scale model was the next best thing.
  20. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

That is a good logic I think.