1. Sjacob

Sjacob Puttering Along

I don't think this has been discussed here before, so I'd like to ask:
    What do you guys think of the proposed return of the trabi as an electric car?
    http://www.trabant-nt.de/374/en/the-project/trabant-nt.aspx
    I, for one, am super stoked (did I use that expression correctly?) about this, despite the unfortunate fact that the financial downturn seems to have put the project on the backburner. Especially since an electric car would for the next 8 years at least be heavily subsidized here in norway and thus pretty cheap!

And I also think they did an awesome job with modernizing the look of the trabant, retaining the charm while giving it a sporty look. Maybe a bit close to the modern minis, but still...

Aaanyways, what are your views?
  2. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

I like the looks of it. I do not know my feelings yet on it being an all electric car.

On the one hand, being electric personifies the simplicity and efficiency that is a Trabant. On the other hand, I think it would be better if it was an Electric/Fuel Hybrid similar to the Toyota Prius or Chevrolet Cruze.

I know in Europe that wind power is pretty big, however in the States it is less common and in reality, an all electric car that is charged using coal burining electricity is actually more harmful and more expensive to run in that aspect.

One thing I am interested to see is how the German people (especially Former East Germans) view the return of a Trabant.