1. scarrabri

scarrabri Loyal Comrade

Hi sorry to keep on with all my questions but does any one know where I could buy a Roof tent for a Trabant 601 please or do they no longer do them, best wishes Brian.
  2. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

I know John Short in America made one . Didn't look easy though .
  3. scarrabri

scarrabri Loyal Comrade

Hi and thank you but I don't think I could make one and it is nearly impossible to find one ,best wishes Brian
  4. scarrabri

scarrabri Loyal Comrade

Hi does any one know what weight the roof will take as the roof tent I have just seen is 50kg ,best wishes Brian.
  5. Steve H

Steve H Loyal Comrade

6. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Get the correct german word and save a search on german ebay . They were a common accessory and I bet they turn up fairly often. I wouldn't worry about weight I have seen one at foxfield and they look strong ( a german couple were touring in their trabi with roof tent)
  7. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Must type faster
  8. scarrabri

scarrabri Loyal Comrade

LOL I have been on this site twice and gave up because of the German ,but got it translated now in chrome ,thanks a million very best wishes Brian.
  9. scarrabri

scarrabri Loyal Comrade

Thanks again best wishes Brian.
  10. phi

phi Loyal Comrade

The roof tents were officially produced between 1979 and 1990. In that times, about 1800 tents were built. The inventor and producer, Mr. Gerhard Müller died in 1999.

One of the employees founded the "ABC-Sattlerei" and still produces the tarpaulins: http://www.abc-sattlerei.de/index2.htm

At the moment, I don't know anybody who welds the frames. But some people already did it on their own.
  11. scarrabri

scarrabri Loyal Comrade

Hi and thank you ,that's a shame about the inventor as what a really good idea but there are a few on Amazon that may fit the same purpose although not designed for the Trabant so I will take a look at them ,very best wishes Brian.
  12. scarrabri

scarrabri Loyal Comrade

Here we go but not sure if a Trabi could take the weight as there does not seem to be much support .
    Product Description
    Description:
    * This item is a brand name rooftop tent of premium workmanship. Very compact when closed, with a relatively low wind resistance.
    * Entry from any side. This tent also offers ample room for tall persons, with a mattress size of 220 x 135 cm. The zippered mattress cover can be removed for washing.
    * All openings feature mosquito netting. The two window sides have awnings, which can be closed in the event of strong winds.
    * The additional roof lends the rooftop tent additional wind resistance and keeps the tent cool on hot days. The nylon canvas is waterproof and breathable.
    * The included aluminum ladder is extendable to any length from 120 -205 cm with 4 - 7 rungs (optional 240 cm).
    * Additional optional accessories shown below are offered in our eBay shop.

Specifications:
    * Tent size : 240 x 140 x 130 cm
    * Mattress size : 220 x 135 x 6 cm
    * Tent size - closed : 120 x 140 x 28 cm
    * Frame : Aluminium
    * Shipping : size approx. 125 x 144 x 32 cm
    * Weight : approx. 50 kg 41FyUvRAPXL__AC_AA160_.jpg 41FyUvRAPXL__AC_AA160_.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  13. Zausel

Zausel Genosse Forum Donor

I know this is four years later but...

The tent is supported at the four jack points and the trailer hitch.