1. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Bit the bullet and ordered stuff from Trabantwelt which came in a couple of days (Xmas notwithstanding). So fitted the carb repair kit which has cured the petrol piddling out of overflow pipe and made starting and engine running seem OK. Decided to get the electrics sorted before tackling the brakes, and think that converting from 6v to 12v is for me. New 12v battery fitted, new alternator puchased but not yet fitted (type which has terminal for tell tale charge light). I will have to find tube or brackets to adapt.

I've read various articles on internet re using existing starter, starter relay, ignition coils, ignition condensers, with conflicting advice. I have already put 12 volts through the starter and its relay to test run the engine with the rest of engine and car electrics still on 6v. Seems to work OK, but I understand eventually this may fry the starter relay through heavy use. Heavy use seems to be the criteria with aforementioned electrical items, and that they will work without conversion, but heavy use will cause failure quite quickly.

Next we come to the other electric items.

Wiper motor ...... mine has the multiple position switch which I presume is delay wipe or fast/slow speed. I would like to keep the original switch if possible, and it seems that something called a ballast resisitor can be used to reduce voltage to about 8v inserted in the live feed enabling the original motor to be used. Please can someone advise me of a suitable ballast resistor and where to source?

Hazard warning switch...... I guess this will have to go in favour of a 12v hazard warning system although not compulsory for the MOT if I take it out completely. Suggestions for a 12v alternative gratefully accepted.

Direction indicator flashing unit...... will be replaced with a 12v item.

Headlamp relay....... will have to be replaced with a 12v item. Any suggestions for a suitable one?

Lastly, whilst typing this post, Rick Stein on BBC2 tv driving around Berlin centre in a Trabi from Trabi world. He didn't seem impressed. Silly man.
  2. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Your coils will definitely need changing for 12volt versions . Don't buy sport or high performance 12v versions as they will burn out EBZA electronic ignition if you decide to fit that at a later date . I would keep the 6v wiper motor and use a converter like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEOK-DC-1...655808?hash=item1c47617dc0:g:91EAAOSwDuJWzk-s
    Your starter might not last long but I suppose if it dies then buy a 12v one. All the usual suppliers sell a 12v headlamp relay I think
  3. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

What alternator did you buy? A lucas 16acr as fitted to numerous british cars fits very nicely if you use the later trabant brackets which you can buy for a few euros . The lucas is very cheap and plentiful second hand
  4. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

I bought a 70 amp Cargo 110891 for £70 from a local auto electrical supplier. 12 months guarantee. Should be fine.
  5. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

Morris minor headlamps fit in the existing buckets with the existing rims I used the plastic lens ones they also dip to the left there's a pair on eBay for 29.99 or offers including carrage,I've used a Mallory 8v ballast resister on my hotrod coil I got it from an American parts supplier in Yorkshire
  6. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Thanks for that. Already ordered some left dipping new headlights with sidelamps included, for £27.36 postage free from Vintage Warehouse. Will check out the ballast resistor, thanks.

Steve
  7. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Ballast resistor is not a good way of doing it. The voltage will vary with the load the wiper motor puts on it .A solid state converter is much better as it will give six volts regardless of load.
  8. kev the builder

ive never tried running anything through a ballast resister i always thought they was to give a consistent voltage for instriments so you get a more accurate reading and a more consistant spark as the battery voltage varies with revs and load,ballast resistor coils also have a feed from the starter circuit to give a better spark while cranking the engine,as mbeamish says a solid state convertor would be better if you dont swop the motor
  9. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

This may or may not be on the subject but maybe there is someone useful info here.

Dad has a 58 Ford Tractor that was original 6 volt positive ground with a generator. As with most "non-show" tractors in the United States, people have removed the 6 volt generators and replacement them with the same GM AC Delco alternator I used on my Trabant.

So now the tractor has a Chevrolet 12 volt alternator, negative ground. What I don't understand is why the starter doesn't turn backwards unless the negative battery cable was originally connected to the starter motor. But that's irrelevant.

I don't know what all has been changed on this tractor. I assume the coil and headlight bulbs have been changed. The points/condenser are probably still 6 volts since there is no option between 6 or 12 volt ignition parts. The external starter relay, I don't know.

My guess is the starter spins twice as fast. I have pulled this starter off the tractor several times in the past 20 years to have new brushes installed. I asked the guy who rebuilt it last if there was some reason this thing seems to go through brushes and if pushing 12 volt through it was the problem but he couldn't say. I do know this tractor is hard to start if it's been sitting for awhile. Usually because E10 gums up the float valve so it maybe due to excessive cranking (my fault).

One good thing is if a 12 volt battery is weak and falls below 12 volts, it will turn the 6 volt starter motor over.

I battery on my Trabant is going on 5 years and never fails to turn the engine over and I have never used a trickle charger on it.

The battery only had a 2 year warranty and by now it should be time for a new one. I also noticed my Citroen will crank over with a weak battery (<12.6 volts). One day it was reading 12.0 volts and on any other car would not turn the starter over but cranked over like nothing!

I guess it doesn't take my power to turn a 600cc engine over!
  10. kev the builder

It may have something to do with the compression ratio trabis and 2cvs have a low compression ratio,engine cylinder configuration also has an effect boxers and vs have it a bit easier as they don't have to stop and start the Pistons
  11. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

I also have a classic vw beetle ,when people convert them to 12v they generally leave the six volt starter . The VW six volt starter seems to last for years running on double voltage
  12. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Had the original 6v headlamp relay out of the car to see how it worked . Freed off the mechanism and tried it with a 12v battery and it seems to work fine so I'll keep it for the 12v system. It's only energized momentarily to effect the changeover from high beam to dip. Also had the wiper switch and motor out to examine them. I wired them up to my old 6v battery and tried them with each of the 4 switch settings and they seem to be working ok, delay settings as well. The switch also has the push feature to fit an electric washer pump if I later wish to do so. In view of this, I will keep the 6v wiper motor and have ordered this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222318774596 to convert the 12v supply to 6v for the wipers.