1. Hi All

I am new to the world of Trabants so i'm relying on you guys to help me out a little here.
    Has anyone ever had to go through the paperwork of registering a Trabant in the UK with no plates or paperwork at all.
    I have the data plate with the serial number and date clearly visible I just need to know how I go about registering it.
    Its a 1990 601L , im converting it to electric which is no doubt subject to more discussion and criticism but I will go down that route later.
    Here's hoping you have some answers.
  2. d0mokun

d0mokun Newbie

Hi Steve,

I am in the process of doing so at the moment and it's really not as scary as many would have you believe. The DVLA are actually quite helpful on the phone also.

Basically in order to submit your paperwork to the DVLA, if you're at that stage, the car must have a valid MOT and be insured. Then you can simply post the relevant paperwork to Swansea along with a cheque for the VED and registration. This is valid info as of two weeks ago.

Best
    Dan.
  3. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Slightly more difficult if you don't have foreign log book. DVLA will NOT accept the VIN plate as proof of age. You will have to get a 'dating' letter from the owners club ( they might want to inspect car) . Once you have dating letter , mot and insurance ( using chassis number ) it should be straight forward DVLA might want to inspect you car or they might not. One bit of advice the V55 form has loads of boxes asking for carban emissions ,type approval etc etc . Most of these aren't relevant to a classic car and can be filled in N/A
  4. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

One more question you have the aluminium black/white VIN plate? but check the actual chassis number is present and matches the VIN plate . The chassis number is on a welded plate on bulkhead behind the fuel tank . The actual chassis number is the important one . If it is missing or different to VIN plate you are in trouble and probably looking at a Q plate ( or a stolen car) (hopefully not )
  5. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Oh there is at least one electric trabi in UK already
  6. d0mokun

d0mokun Newbie

From personal experience again, the owners club are not the speediest when it comes to dating requests.
  7. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Perhaps not but considering it's FREE and a voluntary service I wouldn't complain
  8. d0mokun

d0mokun Newbie

It's a statement, not a complaint- I've emailed two separate people on two separate occasions and not received a single reply back.

All due respect, I am allowed an opinion on the matter.
  9. Now now gents, I'm sure its an adequate service. I will be able to tell for my self in due time.
    I appreciate all of your feedback, I am concerned however as its first UK MOT will be as an electric. The engine and drive is already stripped out as it was not worth spending the money on considering it was going to be hauled out anyway.
    I would be very interested to talk to anyone who knows of the existence of other electric Trabbies, maybe I will start a new thread.
    Thanks
  10. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Good luck but I would strongly suggest you check the chassis number matches the VIN plate before you spend a lot of time and money on the car. Trabants are commonly 'rung' for various reasons and can be a nightmare to sort out.