1. Bill

Bill Smoking Along

I was driving my Kombi to work last week and the car broke down about a mile from my destination.
    The engine was fine but no forward motion. It turned out that hinge joint on the drive axel went to pieces! Now I’m not so patiently waiting for a package to arrive from Germany. I feel like I have a narrow window of opportunity before the weather gets cold!
    trabant601 likes this.
  2. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. A time crunch makes things difficult. The master cylinder on mine went bad, so I emailed Andrea Danzer and asked if she could ship a new one express from Germany, so I could drive the car at the Parade of Trabants this year. I got it in time (two days), but the shipping was very expen$ive...still, it got repaired in time for the event.
    trabant601 likes this.
  3. Bill

Bill Smoking Along

Glad you were able to get what you needed in time. I’m just a big whining baby about the cold. It looks like my package has been stuck in customs for a week now. If all goes well it should arrive in time for good weather this weekend.
    trabant601 likes this.
  4. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Happened to me once too. 3 miles from home. i went and got spares, just in case, the next time i was in Germany. good luck beating the cold, Chicagoland is an ice cube already.
  5. JAK

JAK Newbie

Rule of thumb with my Kombi, don't drive it further than you're willing to walk home.
  6. Bill

Bill Smoking Along

My old Kombi was extremely reliable. 300+ mile round trips with no problem. This new one is still being sorted, but to it’s credit, it did give me plenty of warning. I just didn’t take the time to diagnose the new squeaking sound because it was cold outside. I ended up walking in the cold instead!