1. Trabant Forums is now part of the AutoShrine Network and has moved to a new server
    If anything broke during the move, please contact admin@trabantforums.com
  1. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

That would be cool. We intend to keep off the motorways as much as possible to get more audience close up and for insurance against possible breakdown, so I think A38 to junction 16 then off again at the river Avon and back up towards the A38 again, to continue south. I will make a note and contact you nearer the time.
  2. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

Finally got the front wheel bearing job wrapped up! WOW what a difference new wheel bearings makes.

The flat spot/tire rumbling sound is gone. The vibration from the floorboards, gone.

Some other unexpected improvements which I'm not sure if are related to the worn bearings or not. It maybe from repacking the hinge joints.

1) Car is easier to steer
    2) Doesn't seem to pull to the right anymore
    3) It feels like there is less resistance on the drivetrain. Not a huge increase in power but something just feels different now.

I have been driving my Citroen for a few weeks so it may just be the difference between the two cars.

If you guys have been keeping up with my thread here's some points of interest.

I used modern sealed bearings, like the ones used on other front wheel drives with CV joints. Grease can't get out, dirt can't get in.

Some of the hardware found between the bearings no longer fits or seems to have no purpose. I think these pieces were used to hold the grease seals up against the older style bearings.

So this is how it all went back together:

Outer grease seal
    Snap ring
    Outer bearing
    Spring
    Plastic washer
    Inner bearing

Well sort of. You have to pop bearings, spring/washer in first, snap ring then the outer grease seal then push the hub piece is pressed through the bearings.,

If anybody plans on doing this. I have some pipe which I used to press against the outer race when pushing the bearings in the hubs. Then a smaller diameter pipe that fits against the inner race that the stud can pass through.

Attached are the SKF part numbers for bearings and the grease seals. 4 bearings, 2 grease seals.

Attached Files:

3. Trabant_Mike

Trabant_Mike Puttering Along

I got Igor registered and took him out today around Kent. He's driving very nicely, especially now I've fixed the broken speedometer. I just need to replace the passenger window winder, which I may have broken...

Here are some pics!

3c27b742-104c-47b4-a610-215658ddd0d3_zpsimhs5uve.jpg
    19af1dda-a2e3-4bb2-b860-bb61124b0936_zpsmvkoiwls.jpg
    19cdada2-7d31-4b3f-9deb-cee6aa0d06d6_zps3qdnmjoh.jpg
    a68bdc8b-bf6b-444c-9d30-d034e19072a4_zpscmgtqsaz.jpg
    michiel76 and Berlin89 like this.
  4. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Along with my newly purchased Trabant 601 Universal, included was an original first aid kit with two clips on the back for locating somewhere in the car. Can anyone tell me where that location should be please??
  5. turbofiat124

Kind of an old thread but I was at a local car show I go to every year and someone had brought an English Ford. I'm wanting to say it's a 1938 model. Can someone tell me what those "things" behind the doors are? Are these the "indicators" used on European cars before everyone decided on blinkers?

Attached Files:

6. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

7. VADOC

VADOC Premium Member Forum Donor

8. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

theyre also called idiot sticks,theyre indicators and were used upto the mid 50s
  9. turbofiat124

Semaphore, that was the word I was looking for. The first time I had ever heard of these was on American Pickers where they were buying this split window VW Type I that had been up in a barn loft for 40 years. And it had those.
    This wasn't something ever used on American cars. I'm not sure when blinkers became mandatory.
  10. Bobdisk

Bobdisk Newbie

Hi Steve, Did you get the gearbox/freewheel sorted? By the way, how much is the road tax? I think should be £150 (at Sept 2017) but have heard of some paying the full whack of £250, which should be for 1500cc+.
  11. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

No, I haven't sorted the gearbox. To be frank, it isn't causing enough problem as yet to warrant a strip down. Sometimes 4th gear works straight away from cold but other times it takes a mile or two before it kicks in. Then in normal driving it works flawlessly. Road tax is £150.
  12. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Working on my newly acquired Trabbi Universal, I have noted the following points:-
    The removable front radiator panel is made from steel and not Duroplast like my 1983 saloon.
    There is no fog light or reverse light fitted.
    The car was made in February, 1990 and still qualifies as being made in the DDR regime.
    I still haven't discovered where the original First Aid box should be stored. It has locating clips on the back, but where does it locate?
  13. aardvark64

aardvark64 Puttering Along

Found my first-aid kit inside the cover for the spare wheel. Like you, I have no idea where it's supposed to live.

By the way, mine was built in Jan 1990 and was supposed to have been one of the last few Limo Deluxes made. It's missing some of the goodies for a Deluxe such as sunroof. However, I don't think production of the 2-strokers finished altogether until April that year.
  14. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Bought a bunch of Trabant parts from the internet here in Holland!

teile1.jpg teile2.jpg teile4.jpg
  15. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Just got a copy of the local news magazine coverage for the upcoming charity trip! Trabbi news 2.jpg

Only thing is I sold the sandy limousine today so the trip will now be in the glacier blue universal.

New trabbi1.jpg New trabbi3.jpg New trabbi2.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  16. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

A few pix of last weekend's IFA club UK rally at the Coventry Transport Museum. Probably my last show of the season. That's mine with the hood/bonnet up.

coventry1.jpg coventry2.jpg coventry3.jpg
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  17. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

So on my way to the Coventry rally, the Kombi behaved impeccably until we got to the city limits and traffic. Then it started to misfire and then only firing on one cylinder, occasionally going back to two for around 15 to 20 seconds then back to only one. I persevered to the rally site with the misfire and then changed plugs which seemed to cure the problem. But on the way home, same thing happened,and I tried changing the plugs again which cured it for a while until about 12 miles from home when even a plug change didn't work. So firing on one cylinder, I managed 50 mph on the flat, with occasional 15 second bursts of firing on 2 cylinders. The problem cylinder was No. 1 (nearest the coils) and after a chat with kev (the builder) we thought it was probably a faulty coil breaking down. Both coils replaced, new set of plugs and hopefully problem solved, but any other car with a single coil would have meant a recovery truck call out. Trabbis aren't all bad!
  18. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

Hope you've solved your running problems,trabis are generally reliable when used regularly they don't like being sat around,I've been using mine as a parts chaser for the last couple of days as my normaly reliable van had a clutch slave cylinder failure on the way home Monday night now that is a nightmare to work on the part is in the gearbox which is a pig to remove the part is £36 the labour bill from a garage is £1000! So it's a couple of days off work and do it yourself which means I can loose 2 days work and still be in profit! There's definitely something to be said for simple engineering
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  19. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Seems like it was one of the coils. New ones fitted and 100 miles later, there has been no problem with misfiring.
  20. frogbros

frogbros Von Trabi Forum Donor

New upholstery for the seats

seats before.jpg seats after.jpg seats 3.jpg seats 5.jpg seats 6.jpg