1. Trabant Forums is now part of the AutoShrine Network and has moved to a new server
    If anything broke during the move, please contact admin@trabantforums.com
  1. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Stu, if you search in the technical sections of this forum , you will find a workshop manual in English. I don't think Haynes have got around to compiling one for the Trabant!
    Also, re the paint, I have bought aerosol cans from Trabantwelt.de and found they are good for small jobs and are a very good match.
    IronJaw likes this.
  2. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

I've never actually tried it, Kev. It all seems a lot of expense and fuss just to sleep under canvas off the ground. Maybe some people don't like the creepy crawlies getting in! I've just refurbished it to sell on.
  3. IronJaw

IronJaw Puttering Along

My Trabant had factory Fog lights fitted, however Steve wished to keep them for his own car when he sold me the car. I didn't object to this, I thought I wouldn't have any trouble locating suitable replacements. And I didn't either. Sunday night I had a quick peep on eBay for what was available, and I came across a nice NOS pair of Ring fog lights still in their original box. I paid £15 for them and they turned up today, and I was actually quite surprised!

I opened the package and marveled at the packaging, packaging was so much better in the old days. I smirked slightly as I read the instructions and the contact details of Ring LTD, Leeds, Yorkshire. Then I looked at the lamps themselves, thinking how Decadent my Trabbi will look with Chrome rings on the Fog Lamps. They're identically sized to the Trabant ones, and then my eye picked out DDR embossed in the glass lens. Curious I popped them open and discovered a second label inside saying the lamps are made by VEB Fahrzeugelektrik in the DDR! I've inadvertently purchased a set of DDR Lamps. I actually think they are the same as Trabant ones, just with a slightly different back and some Decadent Chrome rings fitted. Can anyone confirm this? Either way, I'm looking forward to fitting these!!

S.

lamp small.jpg Small Glass.jpg small sticker.jpg
    Steve likes this.
  4. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

trabbi tent.jpg

trabbi tent2.jpg

Well at least I can say I did own one briefly. My other half won't entertain sleeping under canvas, so after refurbishing, it's been sold on. The new owner collected it today and it now lives down south.
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  5. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I broke two cheap Chinese breaker bars trying to remove one of those nuts. The 36 mm hinge type. I hated to do it for fear of damaging the bearing but I ended up getting out the propane torch and heated the nut up for about 30 seconds and it eventually broke loose. I eventually replaced the front wheel bearings.

I got the socket from Sears so it did not break. What the hell happened to Sears? One less place in town to find quality tools and good deals on appliances from....
  6. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

The driver's side drive shaft was a little worn on the universal joint swivels and retaining pins, and the stub axle fit to the swivel joint was a bit sloppy, so I replaced the swivel joint and stub axle. Also, the bottom axle swivel plastic bearing was worn, so I replaced that. Then yesterday, I took the car to its first show at Draycott-in-the-Clay, a little village steam fair event about 45 miles away. The vibration under power was not as bad now and I think it could be road wheels out of balance as a little vibration is still there when I ease off the gas. The steering is very stiff and I think the last owner renewed the top swivel plastic bushes but didn't ream them properly as they are very tight on the stirrup swivel joints. The passenger side front axle had the same treatment today, new bottom plastic swivel bush, and new stub axle and universal swivel joint. I'm taking the loose axle down to my local garage to get the top and bottom bushes properly reamed out tomorrow. My reamer is just too small for the job. Then put it all back together for Thursday evening; another local classic car and bike show.

And for the first time that I have taken by Trabbi to a general classic show, another Trabant 601 turned up to swell the Communist contingent. It was in great condition, with Hycomat transmission and opening rear windows, first time I have seen these in the flesh.

Pictures from the show.
    DIC1.jpg

DIC2.jpg

DIC3.jpg

Nice early Morgan 3-wheeler. The owner wouldn't swap for my Trabbi!
  7. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

Took out one rear, inner arch today. Hopefully have the surrounding rot repaired and the new arch in place tomorrow.
    [​IMG]
  8. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

The 1970 saloon (I don't really like calling them a limousine; it doesn't seem correct) has had some more attention due to the fact that I was nearly passing out when driving it the other day, due to the ingress of exhaust fumes. I couldn't see any obvious signs of holes or cracks in the system, so I thought a partial strip down would be the best course of action. On taking off the engine cowling, I noticed on the left cylinder rear face there was wet oil deposits starting at the cylinder head joint. Off with the head, but the gasket looked secure although the four head bolts didn't seem evenly tight. After cleaning up the combustion chamber, all was re-assembled after checking the exhaust manifold gasket and joint to the heat exchange silencer box.
    I took the car out for a 20 mile drive in the evening and that was fume free. Job done. It seems just that small leak on that cylinder head was the cause of the fumes, but the engine still ran fine!
  9. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

You can run without head gaskets as the heads have circular grooves running around them for sealing this gives a slight rise in compression and a slight gain in performance
  10. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

Arch fitted [​IMG]
  11. Austinpowers

Austinpowers Loyal Comrade

I can confirm that this is true, I ran my old motor like that for over 2 years before it was replaced with the new 700cc motor. It did give a bit of extra go, and the heads didn’t leak.
  12. IronJaw

IronJaw Puttering Along

I've been busy today, I've had fun. I began by removing my butchered dashboard from the car ready for the replacement I'll be laying my hands on next week. The fun part here was working out how everything came out and photographing it for putting it back again. I'll need to study the wiring diagram though because there are a few things I need to work out.

After the dash was out I turned my attention to getting the wiring ready for my front fog lamps to be fitted, luckily Steve has left me most of the loom so I just need to add to it. I decided to split the lamps open and paint the lenses yellow with headlamp paint. I personally feel that yellow fog lights are cool on the right vehicles, and this is one of them. After I adhered them back together and put them back together I couldn't resist having a test fitting. I'm over the moon with how these lamps look on the car, they really make a huge difference.

I then decided for some reason it would be a good idea to take everything off the engine and clean the cooling fins on the cylinders. So after I stripped everything off I discovered someone has already done it! I decided to look inside the bores and they look good, although there appears to be a leak from one of them I'll need to address. I've left the covers off for now because I'll need to replace the fuel hoses and sort out the petrol tap as advised by Steve.

So I'm left with a few questions at the end of today:

1) How exactly does the economy gauge work, mine needs attention because it reads full red all the time.
    2) What have folk done with regards to RHD headlamps? I don't want to fit beam benders to LHD lamps, I'd rather fit RHD units. I can get 7 inch units as fitted to Triumph Heralds etc in H4 Halogen flavour no problem but are there modifications that need doing?

Thanks,
    S. Small Fog.jpg Small Engine.jpg Small Leak 1.jpg small leak 2.jpg Small Bore.jpg
  13. kev the builder

Morris minor replacement lights fit straight in the original buckets
  14. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Yes Stu. Morris Minor lamps with H4 fitting will go straight in as replacements. The economy gauge works off a flow meter, a round container with wires going in and fuel in and out (if I recall it wasn't connected on yours for some reason, i.e. by-passed through some fault maybe). This flow meter is situated at the front of the passenger side wheel arch just below the headlamp bucket. If you blow into the inlet pipe you should hear the mechanism spinning round inside. If not maybe there's a fault. I don't think they can be split for service.
  15. IronJaw

IronJaw Puttering Along

Ah, I was wondering what that was, I thought it was part of the petrol heater. I’ll have a look at it more closely. Where does this unit get it’s feed from and to? Any pictures? Thanks.
  16. kev the builder

the flow meter wiring is on the passenger wing wiring just before the ignition coils
  17. IronJaw

IronJaw Puttering Along

The wiring is all connected, what I meant was how is it plumbed into the fuel lines?
  18. IronJaw

IronJaw Puttering Along

I’ve just been out to the car with a length of pipe and blew into the flow meter. It spins and makes a noise similar to a small klaxon so I guess it works. However I’ll have to test it with liquid to check it doesn’t leak.

I’ve been looking at photos of engine bays on google to see if I can work out how the flow meter is plumbed in. I noticed my tank is missing an overflow or recovery pipe, there is just a screwed in something there.
  19. Austinpowers

I did away with my flow meter,as it was temperamental and I wanted to increase the pipe diameter.
    As with the upgrades to the motor, I need as much fuel as I can throw at it to upset people in normal cars.
  20. Austinpowers

Mk 1 golf headlights should fit in a Trabi. The problem with 7 inc lights fitted to most old cars is that there have the wrong profile. A Trabi headlight is quite flat. Where as most others are curved.