1. Trabant Forums is now part of the AutoShrine Network and has moved to a new server
    If anything broke during the move, please contact admin@trabantforums.com
  1. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

That's a nice looking trabi there Steve hope it's behaving itself for you and your enjoying it
  2. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

It is running well and now has been spruced up around the bottom of the tailgate and the lower tailgate surround where the rust was appearing. With a little blow from the spray gun and the paint you had left, it looks pretty good from the back. The front will get a similar job before too long, once I get the garage sorted.
  3. kev the builder

Painting the front grill will make a big difference
  4. IronJaw

IronJaw Puttering Along

I’ve been busy on my Trabi, I’ve been stripping the car down to a shell to address the rust issues that have reared their ugly faces. What’s made the rust on the car unpleasant is that it could’ve been avoided if the person who applied the under seal to the car had done it properly. Instead they painted it over caked on mud trapped in the arches creating a moisture trap. Anyway, I’ll be having new arch quarters welded in, front corners and a new LH Sill also. There are a couple of little bits where fabrication is required, but my welding guy isn’t phased by this.

I stripped the car down slowly and methodically over a few afternoons, making sure everything was labelled and placed carefully in boxes which have a description of what’s inside on them. My loft has been used to store these bits where they’re safe out the way. I’ve placed a big order to a parts guy in Germany, Martin Heinz, who runs a little IFA garage there. He’s beaten a bigger supplier’s price and will be supplying all NOS parts.
    https://www.ifaserviceheinz.de/

So all what remains in the car is the glass, the wiring and the engine. I’ll be pulling the glass out this week as well as checking on and addressing any wiring problems. I’ll be fitting a blade style fuse box and improving any connections that look suspicious. I’m hoping to get the welding done in the new year and paint shortly after that. My aim is to have the car driving and on the road again in Mid Spring 2019.
    Bill and RogerDerSchrauber like this.
  5. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

Today I used our 1950's Metal lathe to make some spacers(since I lost the axle stub from the parts car). Now it is a really big bolt- adapted to the ID of the rear wheel bearings.

Good enough to drag the car out, and start the whole cutting it in half thing! o_O

Were aiming for cutting off from the front sub frame bolts- forward. After the cotton fenders go away, me thinks a swift kick will knock the front half loose.

Not much holding it on there....

It all comes down to the trailer tongue weight. With the front half, and interior gone maybe thats just enough...
  6. IronJaw

IronJaw Puttering Along

It shouldn't be too heavy at all, I can lift my car up and shift it so I imagine with the engine and front axle gone it will be almost like a wheel barrow.

My parts order has now been dispatched from Germany after a health related delay from the business owner, I'm looking forward to getting my bits. I don't need them just now, but I ordered them because I was concerned about the Brexit stuff and didn't want to get snarled up in that fallout. The car is almost a bare shell now, welding will be carried out in the new year and the paint will be soon after. Just the glass to remove now, but that can wait until just before the welding.
  7. Zausel

Zausel Genosse Forum Donor

I've just installed the MBZA. It's fun to be able to move the firing point around on the fly and now I have a tachometer that I see on my phone. Very useful for working on the carburetor.
  8. IronJaw

IronJaw Puttering Along

How did you achieve this? Is it some sort of kit you can buy? I'd be interested in one myself. :)
  9. trondd

trondd Puttering Along

Fired it up and let it warm up. It's been a while due to vacation, disease, snow, rain, etc.

The idle stalling came back and seems to get worse. A little gas would keep it running, but it kept needing a little more and a little more and even when revving a bit, it would miss and stutter.

Might as well open the carb up and see if I can find anything in there. I want to flush the gas tank, too as paint was peeling off around the cap and falling inside. :/

Actually, the first thing I should look at is the fuel filter.
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  10. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

11. RogerDerSchrauber

Clean out the fuel filter, drain and remove the tank, inspect it for leaks, foreign matter, etc., clean out the petcock, then clean/gap or replace the sparkplugs, check the mixture screw on top of the carb (really about the only idle adjustment on the economiser carburetor) , and then drive the car. I assume your car has electronic ignition, and it's timed correctly?

Trabis don't like standing around; they need to be driven on a regular basis. Once all the above is taken care of, and you drive it regularly, most of the problems will go away.
  12. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

My Trabbi hasn't been driven that much since the driveshaft broke back in July. I have started it a few times since then but it seems to struggle if it sits for more than a few weeks. The other day I started it up just to move the car so the guy who came out to fix my garage door could work.

For some reason I fouled the plugs. I had to get out the starter fluid as well. Once I got the engine started, it smoked like hell.

I'm wondering if the oil in the gas separates over time. Then the oil sinks to the bottom of the tank.

The other idea is gasoline will evaporate but oil will not so the strength of the mixture will increase as the engine sits.

This seems to occur on any 2 cycle engine.
  13. Andrew353w

Andrew353w Newbie

Part of this problem stems from the way one fills up a 2 stroke car these days. Many years ago (& I'm talking about the 1960-70s!) most filling stations, certainly in the United Kingdom, had a 2 stroke oil pump on the forecourt, so customers buying 2 stroke fuel, either for a car or a lawnmower told the attendant (remember them?-thought not!) what ratio they wanted & he (they were rarely "she"!) dialled it up & added precisely the correct amount of 2 stroke oil, mixed with the petrol as it went into the tank. As a child I can remember my Dad asking the guy to do this for our Flymo lawn mower. Nowadays we buy the 2 stroke oil separately and add it to the fuel, once we've filled up. When I had a Wartburg I filled up in 20 or 40 litre amounts, adding 1/2 or 1 litre of 2 stroke oil afterwards. Often I'd misjudge the refill & only get 35 litres of unleaded in, so by adding the oil it'd be running at 35:1 instead of the 40:1 Wartburg recommended. I also found it useful to rock the car a bit if I'd not used it for a bit, which shook up the fuel. This might sound mad but I found it helped with starting the car and it reduced the smoking on start-up.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  14. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Well, I finally sold my light blue Kombi to the owner of Cyprus Classic Car museum in Limmasol. It will be exported by sea container quite soon but will be in a bonded warehouse in Cyprus until February 2020 when the car will then be 30 years old ( to save import charges). So if you visit Cyprus in 2020, go take a look at my ex-Trabi and the other exhibits. Apparently, it may even be seen driven on the roads of Cyprus as the owner also allows certain exhibits to be rented for special occasions.
  15. kev the builder

Have you now just got 2 trabis then Steve?my previous trabis now living in the us it's amazing how these little cars seem to spread about
  16. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Kev, nope. Bought another 601 saloon 1976 6 volt for spares. Taking delivery this week.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018 at 2:45 AM
  17. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

They have never sold 2 stroke fuel at the pump in the United States. None that I know of. I usually just buy about 30 gallons or around 120 liters at one time and mix up 20 liter batches at a time and fill the car up in my garage as needed.

I also like to pour the oil in the can then put gas on top of it.

Murphy oil gas pumps at Wal-Marts have this option where you can buy fuel additives while your filling up. I've never bought any but thought it would be cool if they had a 2 stroke oil option where you could select the ratio and it would mix it with your fuel.
  18. RogerDerSchrauber

new fan belt, new backup light switch. Next week: new hi-beam relay.
  19. IronJaw

IronJaw Puttering Along

I’ve stripped out the interior, minus the headliner and drivers seat, stripped the panels off the body ready for welding and got together the relevant parts for sorting out a few things on the electrical system. Now that we’re in December the weather isn’t favourable for working outside on a car so for now I’ve put a cover on the car and will maybe look at getting stuff done in January. I’m booked in for welding work on the 1st February though, so I’ve not stopped.

I also had a delivery of parts from Deutschland, a nice big box of NOS Trabi parts. I’m looking forward to fitting these as I go along, it’s little details like this that make the difference.
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.