1. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

Nuts and bolts will also fetch the loose paint off
  2. trondd

trondd Loyal Comrade

I swished some gas/oil mix around. The problem was getting the stuff to go out the hole. I doubt it helped much but I did find a couple bits of random plastic in there I was able to pick out.

Put it all back together, found all the fuel leaks. It pretty much fired right up. Won't stay idling, though. :/
  3. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

That might knock out the rest of the paint chips as well. Paint chips? Did some previous Hungarian owner try resealing the tank from inside with gasoline-proof paint? I have seen worse done: Spray-on rubber coatings, for example. What a mess!
  4. RogerDerSchrauber

Some crap might have found its way into the lines and carb. Flush it all out, remove the big screw on the side of the carburetor, let all the crap flow out and check the needle valves and float.

Heck, you might as well buy a whole new petcock and carb for it, really, when I think of all the work involved.....
  5. trondd

trondd Loyal Comrade

The paint was just inside where the cap goes on. And it was definitely not gasoline-proof. :p

I took out and cleaned everything. Tank to carb. New needle and seat, new filters.
  6. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

Just for the record, you should be able to use a dimmer switch from an 80s VW/Audi if you don't want to pay shipping from Germany on this part. I looked into this option when my dimmer switch failed but just so happen to have a spare. I'm not sure if this same switch would work on a 6 volt model. Unless you used one from an really old VW Type 1 that has 6 volt electrical system.

From what I remember, on the VW when the stalk is pulled back, this wire grounds the dimmer relay switch which makes it rotate. Where on the Trabi, when you pull the switch back it energizes the dimmer relay switch.

So it's just a matter of knowing which wire goes to what pin.
  7. turbofiat124

I was thinking of using one of those Mikini copies. Do you remember what jetting you finally ended up with?

I'm seriously thinking about re-installing the "fuel saver" carburetor. I ran it briefly after rebuilding it and I swear I think the engine started easier and ran smoother than the older style that came on the car (I also rebuilt). I had two carburetors and rebuilt both of them. I tried the fuel saver carburetor and it ran fine but eventually I starting having issues. I thought it was the carburetor but turned out the screws on the breaker plate had vibrated loose and the timing was bouncing around!

What I like about it most is the choke is tied into the throttle like the Solex on my Citroen. So when the choke is engaged it speeds up the idle. With the old style which does not have this fast idle mechanism, I find myself having to feather the throttle to preventing the engine from stalling until it completely warms up. Sometimes having to pull the parking brake at red lights and setting my foot on the accelerator to keep it from stalling. Once I've driven several miles, the engine does not stall.

Another thing I like about that carburetor is it has a choke instead of a fuel enrichment valve. I have flooded the engine by pulling the fuel enrichment valve out too far. Like you would a conventional choke.

I finally came to the conclusion to pull it out just enough to start the engine. It seems the colder it is outside, the more I have to open the valve. So if it doesn't start, pull it out a bit more until it does. Pulled out all the way dumps way too much fuel into the engine. I fouled a spark plug doing that once.
  8. trondd

trondd Loyal Comrade

Well, thought I had everything all buttoned up. Got the car idling alright and it seemed to be fine as it idled for several minutes. Shut it down to put the tools away, get cleaned up and top up the fuel then go for a spin.

Started back up fine. Idled the same. Backed it out of it's parking spot and it died. And now it won't idle again. :mad:
  9. RogerDerSchrauber

trondd, sounds like a carb issue, if you're sure the lines aren't clogging up anymore. BTW I replaced all my fuel lines and cork fittings with e85-proof fuel line. It sure did help. But the dying while idling, sounds like a carburetor issue. Did you adjust the mixture screw on top of the carb? That's about the only thing that will keep the idle regulated on a Sparvergaser, since the linkage is preadjusted and any messing about with it makes the car race sometimes at idle on its own. It could be a stuck float or a clogged needle valve in the carb? Check that, too.

Just some stuff that I have experienced.
  10. trondd

trondd Loyal Comrade

I cleaned/replaced most everything. New needle and seat. Same float, it's different from what came with the rebuild kit but it's not sinking and doesn't seem to be sticking. I had to adjust it a bit to keep the fuel from overfilling at rest and running out the overflow tube. I did have to tweak the idle mixture a bit. I think I am at about 1 and a half to 1 and 3/4 turns from closed.

The carb is a 28 HB 2

I am guessing there is still some junk in the idle circuit I missed.
  11. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

I needed to go pickup a KIA part 30 miles away. Noticed Herr Trabi was popping oddly on deceleration. A few of my head bolts backed lose, again... Since I was determined to take the car, a quick rummage through the metric only bolt box-came up with a longer same type of bolt. Might be from a Toyota... Gonna need to drill and tap all of these before the 300 mile round to to Carlisle.....
  12. turbofiat124

Try the Nord-Lock fasteners. The best lock washer I've ever used.
  13. RogerDerSchrauber

Check also the O ring on the mixture screw. Sometimes it gets pretty hard and gets small cracks in it that admit air, messing with the mix.
  14. turbofiat124

I can't remember right off hand, is the HB2 the "old style" or the "fuel saver" carb.

When I got my 81 model, it would not hardly idle. I had to crank the idle speed up to about 1200 rpms just so it would idle. Every now and then I'd push in the clutch and it would stall.

I took it apart and gave it a good cleaning and apparently the idle circuit was blocked and was running off the main circuit. This is not much too the old style carbs.
  15. trondd

trondd Loyal Comrade

HB2 is the old style.

Didn't know of an o-ring under the mixture screw... I looked in the manual and on Trabantwelt and it seems the float in mine is from the fuel saver carb. I do have the correct one (I just didn't know at the time which was correct) so I may just swap that out in case the wrong one doesn't work correctly (although everything was running fine when I got the car).
  16. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

I'll look into it, thanks.