1. turbofiat124

    turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

    Having way too many cars, I got mine out the other day and drove it for about four days in a row. I drove the 2CV today.

    I mentioned this awhile back but it seemed the idle speed was not very consistent and was idling a bit lumpy. I was going to mess with the idle mixture until I noticed my air cleaner was still pointed in the "winter" direction!

    Pointing it upwards seemed to make a huge difference. It hasn't even stalled at idle on me! Although one thing I've wondered about. If the car sits for while, the gasoline evaporates but the oil doesn't so I'd imagine the oil mixture up. That can't help things.
  2. RogerDerSchrauber

    RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

    Mine works great with the new motor from Trabantwelt, but it seems somehow louder. I will take off the shrouds and check for leaks/loose gaskets, etc.,, when I get a chance. No extra exhaust smell, though.
  3. Bill

    Bill Smoking Along

    Quit a lot actually...
    My box from Trabantwelt arrived so it was time for lots of front end work.
    I still don’t have a proper garage and most of my tools are packed up, so I bought a rebuilt kingpin assembly for the right side. I also had my axel come apart so I replaced that too. Getting everything disassembled and reassembled took most of the day.
    That evening I took it for a test drive expecting all problems to be solved... well, they weren’t.
    Intermittent squeak and wandering at speed were still present. I noticed a bit a play on the left side as well. Sooo... today I replaced the wheel bearings and it appears that all problems are solved- for now...
  4. Austinpowers

    Austinpowers Loyal Comrade

    I had funny noises coming from mine. But it seemed ok. But by the time the years warranty ran out all was not well. The pin on the end off the crankshaft that locates the pulley was chewed to pieces. I had to make a new one on my lathe as a spare standard one did not fit.
    To remove the pulley you have to strip the motor. And it became very clear that the recon motor was built with poor quality components. I had the 700cc version and the cylinder liners are nowhere near central in the barrels.
    The exhaust ports were very badly cast full of big lumps as was the inlet port in the crankcase.
    The heads that are modified to for the bigger bore where full of tiny holes from casting.
    I went through the hole motor ant ported & polished it fitted different high compression heads 2mm spacers under the barrels to change the timing.
    It now runs very well, it’s just a shame that I had to do so much work to a new expensive engine.

Share This Page