1. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

Having way too many cars, I got mine out the other day and drove it for about four days in a row. I drove the 2CV today.

I mentioned this awhile back but it seemed the idle speed was not very consistent and was idling a bit lumpy. I was going to mess with the idle mixture until I noticed my air cleaner was still pointed in the "winter" direction!

Pointing it upwards seemed to make a huge difference. It hasn't even stalled at idle on me! Although one thing I've wondered about. If the car sits for while, the gasoline evaporates but the oil doesn't so I'd imagine the oil mixture up. That can't help things.
  2. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

Mine works great with the new motor from Trabantwelt, but it seems somehow louder. I will take off the shrouds and check for leaks/loose gaskets, etc.,, when I get a chance. No extra exhaust smell, though.
  3. Bill

Bill Smoking Along

Quit a lot actually...
    My box from Trabantwelt arrived so it was time for lots of front end work.
    I still don’t have a proper garage and most of my tools are packed up, so I bought a rebuilt kingpin assembly for the right side. I also had my axel come apart so I replaced that too. Getting everything disassembled and reassembled took most of the day.
    That evening I took it for a test drive expecting all problems to be solved... well, they weren’t.
    Intermittent squeak and wandering at speed were still present. I noticed a bit a play on the left side as well. Sooo... today I replaced the wheel bearings and it appears that all problems are solved- for now...
  4. Austinpowers

Austinpowers Loyal Comrade

I had funny noises coming from mine. But it seemed ok. But by the time the years warranty ran out all was not well. The pin on the end off the crankshaft that locates the pulley was chewed to pieces. I had to make a new one on my lathe as a spare standard one did not fit.
    To remove the pulley you have to strip the motor. And it became very clear that the recon motor was built with poor quality components. I had the 700cc version and the cylinder liners are nowhere near central in the barrels.
    The exhaust ports were very badly cast full of big lumps as was the inlet port in the crankcase.
    The heads that are modified to for the bigger bore where full of tiny holes from casting.
    I went through the hole motor ant ported & polished it fitted different high compression heads 2mm spacers under the barrels to change the timing.
    It now runs very well, it’s just a shame that I had to do so much work to a new expensive engine.
  5. JAK

JAK Newbie

Today, I am in Plovdiv, Bulgaria visiting family. I'm about to go to the little shop that sells Trabant parts. No idea what I will find, but I expect I will be buying a few things. Tops on my list is an old style hub removal tool, some carb parts, maybe a clutch. I am disappointed that Trabants are super rare here now. I have only seen two. One was a shell on display at a wrecking yard and one was in the wild on the streets of Sofia. Seriously, I have seen more Ferrari's here (3) than Trabants!
  6. Bill

Bill Smoking Along

I know what you mean! I was visiting family in Slovenia a few years ago expecting to see Zastavas and other interesting old cars cars. I saw ONE the whole time I was there and it appeared to be non-functional in someones driveway.
    One of my cousins had a Jugoslav built car that was built on under license from some French company but that was the only remotely historic car I saw on the road the whole time I was there.
  7. turbofiat124

Sounds like a Citroen 2CV built under licence by the Tomos moped company in Slovenia.
  8. Bill

Bill Smoking Along

Pretty sure it wasn't that. It was more boxy and less rounded than the 2CV. At least as far as my memory goes...
  9. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

From time to time while in the Trabi, people will tell me about random- odd cars locally. Most were sold many years ago, and lost to time. A few weeks ago I was turning around in a large parking lot, when a guy who lives a few houses away, flagged me down. He said there is some little car that kinda looks like this 601. I actually checked up on it.

Turned out to be a Late 50's Ford Prefect!. Less than 15 miles from me. Soon I'll go back and ask about it. If not for the Trabi, would have never known... Also there is a Simca near a saw mill too. Haven't got to that yet. Keep getting many stories about Simcas, most think it is one...
  10. turbofiat124

Yeah, there seemed to have been allot of Simcas sold in East Tennessee back in the day. Most of the older folks either ask me if my Trabant is a Simca or they tell me they used to own a Simca.
    And of course Fiat.
  11. Buckeye601

Buckeye601 Loyal Comrade

Those 1950's Prefect 100E's could very easily be mistaken for a Tabi for those who are not really familiar with either of the models and was looing at one or the other of them. I have never seen one in person.

My understanding is that their engine has a similar output to the Trabi's, and probably it would be a close (but very slow) drag race to pit them against one another in a 0-60 mph race. You could challenge the owner to a race if you speak to them - you could no doubt do it on the street since I don't think you would get charged with racing in either of those cars in any state in the US :D
  12. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Are you thinking of Dacia 1300 (renault 12 clone built in romania) ?
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  13. A Spooky Ghost

Well, for better or worse I took Herr 601- SIMCA hunting.. Actually found it. Turns out to be a 1204 model. Not the best example..... We talked for awhile. Seems $75.00 got me a Simca-with title.. So once that field drys out, I'll have some terrifying pictures of how I like to waste $75.00.
    trondd likes this.
  14. A Spooky Ghost

Drum Roll Please: Still gotta go fish it out with a tow truck... Been off the road since 83'. Was told it ran well when parked. Got later wacked while sitting-by a logging truck. Just a wee den't. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  15. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Hmmm!!!!!!! At least the rear bumper looks ok
  16. JAK

JAK Newbie

Fixed a leak in the brake lines. Lot of air in the system still to bleed out, but hoping by next weekend, it won't be as exciting to drive the Trabbi.
  17. turbofiat124

I thought I'd check back in.

Mine is still sitting my garage with a trickle charger hooked up waiting for warmer and drier weather. If it's not 65F and raining, it's blistering cold.

Speaking of which this Excide 6V tractor battery I got from Tractor Supply is still seems to be holding a charge after 8+ years! I keep a trickle charger hooked up to all my old cars when I don't plan on driving them for awhile. That maybe the key. Or maybe it just doesn't take as many cold cranking amps to turn over a 600 cc engine. This battery is probably rated for an engine 2 to 3 times the displacement.

After all the work-arounds I've done just so I can use a modern radio, LED headlights, etc. my Trabant is pretty much 12 volts anyway. I just need to change a few things, mostly bulbs.

I've collected all the parts to convert it like an AC Delco alternator. The alternator on it is also an AC Delco but has a 6 volt regulator. Replacing the voltage regulator in an AC Delco 10SI alternator is not as easy as a Bosch because it's mounted internally and requires some dismantling.

I'm just waiting for this battery to bite the dust to get the most life out of it.
  18. trondd

trondd Loyal Comrade

Got the battery into my Fiat and fired that up. The accelerator pump is clogged up again. Seems I have to clean the carb every season now. And smoke was pouring out of the gasket between the manifold and down pipe. I thought it was an exhaust leak but when I shut the car off, the exhaust continued to smoke. ??

Put the battery in the Trabant. There is no accelerator pump so it started up and ran great. Also smoked from the exhaust, as is normal. Love this thing. :D
  19. Buckeye601

Buckeye601 Loyal Comrade

My Trabi started immediately on the first turn of the key yesterday. Drove it out of the barn (no brakes so slowly) and gave it a quick post winter rinse. It needs some touch up paint in places including under the 601 badge on that metal trunk panel but looks pretty good for a somewhat neglected 51 year old car. It looked like I got a little water in the trunk while rinsing it which I was a bit surprised about given the design of that lid with the runoff channels and the rubber looks decent but it may not be making full contact everywhere. May end up being a future Trabantwelt purchase. Also got a bit in the engine compartment but it seems there is no rubber sealing of that area so I assume that is typical.

I also installed a trickle charger mounted to the front of the battery to keep that fully charged. My experience with 12v batteries is it makes a huge difference in longevity to keep it fully charged with a good trickle charger.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/T5bwWNtwYyDQgPt78

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3VYUPgLSZKJF7QKM6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aCuYAhxj533WFVFn9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fkdUhS1spE5jbWv2A

Does anyone have a guess as to what color the car is. I have not seen other ones in person so I’m not sure.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  20. A Spooky Ghost

Haven't had the trabi out in a few weeks, so I headed out to the shed. I was actually tempted to do a little video about ignition timing, alas life got in the way.. Heard from in the house the toilets wouldn't flush....

Seems somehow a large sewer pipe has become clogged in the yard. It is going to involve a sprial drain snake, and digging 4ft down to remove a t pipe...

Moral of the story" When going to go play with a Trabi, don't let anything stop you!" :rolleyes:
    Buckeye601 likes this.