1. Aaron

Aaron Leader

Thought this might be an interesting thread with some of our diverse group here...

Mine was a 1977 Lincoln Continental 4 door. 20.5 feet (6.25 meters) bumper to bumper. It had a thirsty 460 ci (7.5 liter) carbureted V8 and a three speed non overdrive transmission. Bench seats front and rear could haul 8 people with ease...And being so large and full of people was a real handful doing donuts in the fresh snow of the school parking lot :D

To say it was thirsty was an understatement. Luckily, gas was around $1 a gallon in the late 90s.

It was a in good shape..The exhaust had rusted off, so I cut the catalytic converters off and drove it with glass pack mufflers..Could hear it a mile away.

Fun car for a 16-17 year old..Except for the 8 track of Engelbert Humperdink jammed in it and stuck on rerun :eek:

This isn't it, but very close..

[​IMG]
  2. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Keri, Wartburg353W and Aaron like this.
  3. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

My God that thing is massive. How did you even park it?

Mine was a 1977 Fiat X 1/9.....Car was a piece of shit. Never ran right, always had issues, but it had a Targa top and looked awesome each time the tow truck took it away.

I ended up driving the familys "spare" car more often. A 1991 Dodge Dynasty.

So as not to get them confused:

This is the X1/9 (not my actual car, but mine was this color)
    B13444.jpg

This is a Dodge Dynasty (not my actual car, but again, same color)

Dodge_Dynasty.jpg
  4. Aaron

Aaron Leader

Dodge Die nasties are the worst...

I never did learn how to park right..Even after years of driving, having a class A CDL driving semi trucks..I still ALWAYS park too far away in front...It messed with my whole depth perception
    Justin likes this.
  5. Keri

Keri Leader

SAAB 96!

Three Cylinders and Two Cycles! The motor looked suspiciously like a Wartburg motor. I got it because nobody else wanted it at the time.
    everyone wanted the V4 SAABs so I got it for less money than my first motorcycle earlier in the year, a 2-cycle Yamaha 60.

It was my most fun car until I met Comrade Trabi. Just pull up to the gas station, pour in the oil, pump the gas and shake the car!
    I got to be good at predicting how much gas it would take and hence how much oil to put in.

I used to practice driving it with my father late at night on the winding roads through the woods very near here.
    With the arrival of Comrade Trabi, the critters can hear the song of the 2-cycle Viking attack once more.

Even though it was from Sweden* and had two heater cores, it had lousy heat. Comrade Trabi is much better on a cold day.

My '68 looked exactly like this '67. Rumor is the '68 2-cycle SAABs were leftover '67s that nobody wanted.

saab_96_1_67.jpg

*- Like Komrade Keri's Viking Ancestors!
    Justin likes this.
  6. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Great idea for a thread. Thanks, A'Ay-ron!
    I busted out the old snapshots for this one. My first car that I bought with my own money was a '72 VW Super Beetle. By 1982 when I bought it, it had seen much better days. It was rusted and dented and sitting unwanted in a backyard. $100 changed hands that day. But the stick-shift lessons with my dad? Priceless. I disguised the rust and faded paint with a two-tone paint job from spray cans. And got freaky with a roll of pinstripe to boot. Other beetles sitting unwanted in yards seemingly all around my house yielded lots of tacky accessory parts such as chrome visors and bolt on reflectors. But nothing could disguise the dangerously worn steering and lack of adequate heat. I only found out years later that it was a fairly rare model called the "Baja Champion SE" of which only 1,000 were made, all in Marathon Blue with with special wheels and plaque on the dashboard. Oh well, the rust didn't care! 72VW 001.jpg
    Justin likes this.
  7. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

Wow, that is definitely the 80's :)
  8. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

1981 Honda Prelude. From 1986 to 1991. Yeah that's me at age 17. A lot more hair back then and 30 lbs lighter!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mechanically not a bad car. It had 140,000 miles on it when I sold it. But the car was made with very bad steel and rusted like crazy. Almost as bad as Fiat850s that were made from bad Soviet made steel back in the 1970s.
  9. Matteo

Matteo Premium Member Forum Donor

My first car was a scary Renault Super 5 Gt Turbo

IMG_0003 copia.jpg

But I survived :D
  10. Keri

Keri Leader

:eek:Zut' alores! The Franco Suicide Machine!
    I remember those..
    I worked at a Renault dealership in the '80s. They never brought the R5 turbo here to the USA but were considering it. If I recall, they gutted the front power train and stuck a turbo Fuego powertrain (18i variant) in the trunk.

In an incredibly brilliant marketing decision, we referred to the R5 as the "LeCar" in the US.
    I still have nightmares of R5 service*! :p

*~ not to mention completely repairing an elderly R10 electro-automatic transmission control system and reconstructing a burned-out 18i....
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  11. Justin

Justin Founder Moderator

It looks like a pretty bad ass little car, typical generic 80's hatchback, but it's cool in its own right.
  12. Thinsid

Thinsid Loyal Comrade

My First car was a 1982 Triumph Acclaim which was a rebadged Honda. It cost £500 at the time from a used car lot near Newport (Gwent in Wales), I bought it there because a friend who lived in the general area said cars were cheaper than in our home town!
    The car was very dodgy, Test Certificate fraudulently acquired among other issues!! I had it for 19 days during which time it was assessed by 3 independent experts, when I returned the car I threatened them with legal action and publicity in the press as well as a complaint to the Department of Transport. They refunded the cost And gave me £10 for the coach back home, But I didnt get the cost of the oil, or spare key!!
  13. Matteo

Matteo Premium Member Forum Donor

Yeah, 120 HP from factory but you could go up to 145 hp in 5 minutes blanking a small air pipe, all these goodies for just about 845 Kg of weight :p
    As funny as dangerous :cool:
    Justin likes this.
  14. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

I had a 1997 1.1 VW Polo, though no pictures have survived, No power steering, about 50hp, and I used to thrash it between Limerick and Cork when I worked down there.