1. Bill

Bill Smoking Along

I was looking at the choices TrabantWelt offers for different types of clutch parts for the 601s.
    Not sure which type I need. Amazingly, this is NOT a job I have had to do before on any of my Trabants!
    Anybody have a guess which is right for a 1975 601?

Bill
  2. trondd

trondd Loyal Comrade

I'm not sure there is a difference fitment-wise.

Don't know what makes one "premium" over the other, either. The srpung clutch disk will be a bit smoother. I just went with the 99 euro kit.

Tim.
  3. Bill

Bill Smoking Along

Thanks Tim,
    I didn’t think there was any variation in clutch parts until I went to the website!
  4. trondd

trondd Loyal Comrade

Yeah, I'm not sure how's there's so many options, either. :D It's every combination of import vs German, sprung vs unsprung, and "premium".

It's such a light car and I don't put many kilometers on it so had no need to over think it.
  5. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

If the clutch is slipping relining it locally might be all that is neeeded and should be a lot cheaper than a complete new kit
  6. Bill

Bill Smoking Along

One would think...
    I got totally screwed over on that deal before when I asked them to recline some clutch discs on a Soviet motorcycle. Since it was “custom work” and it was way more than they verbally said it would be I told them to keep them. It was over $200 USD for 20 euro part!
    Maybe I would have better luck elsewhere though...
  7. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

When I needed a new clutch, I went with the cheapest "import" non spring disc. My old one had almost wore the splines off!

I think that import disc is a bit thinner. Though I didn't measure. Just doesn't look as robust. Might be made with a better steel, so it would make since.

If I had to do it over again, the springy one would be nicer. Keeps the rest of the car from shuttering! ;)
  8. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

I was just looking at Danzer and it looks like the difference you have to look for is whether your Trabi has a "Bandmitnahme" or not. They have a clutch for one with it, one without it, and one that fits either. It has to do with whether to get the one with springs or not I think. Now someone who knows more about clutches can figure out what a Bandmitnahme is, and you're golden.
  9. Keri

Keri Leader

A clutch with the spring hub causes less chatter from the gearbox at low idle in Neutral.

It seems to me that a clutch with the solid center without springs causes more ruckus from the gearbox in Neutral with the clutch out.
    At first I though it was my badly reconstructed gearbox with welded shift forks and a welded freewheel (posted here somewhere) , but a fresh gearbox from Trabiwelt that works perfectly exhibits the same noise. The clutch disc with center springs seems to dampen the noise a fair bit.
  10. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

Looking at the German Pappenforum (pappenforum.de), it seems the sprung variety is from the 80s when everything got "modernized" for the Trabant. So, for an "unrenewed" 1975 Trabant, the unsprung variety is probably what they had.