1. Trabant Forums is now part of the AutoShrine Network and has moved to a new server
    If anything broke during the move, please contact admin@trabantforums.com
  1. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

My 1970 Trabbi has 6v electrics and I was thinking I might put a radio in for entertainment when driving out and about. Rather than try and find a 6v radio, or use a separate battery, suggestions please for a suitable converter to put in a radio power supply circuit.
  2. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

Anything that supplies sufficient current to drive your radio will do. Having said that I discovered that most of the modern ICEs I looked at needed a constant 12v supply for the volatile memory which saves things such as preset stations. So the converter has to supply current all the time. If you need 4A for your radio at 12v then you will need at least 8A from your 6v supply plus a bit to cover the inefficiencies of the conversion. A Trabant dynamo is rated at 220W so you have around 36A to play with. Taking a worst case scenario say a rainy night - work out how much you need to power your lights (around 120W for stock bulbs when I last checked) and the ignition system and then how much you need to drive the windscreen wiper/washer motors and you will find that there isn't that much left to charge your battery. Let alone power a radio.

I'd suggest you look for a portable DAB radio with a battery that can be charged from a USB socket. As it is a DAB radio then there should be no problems with interference from the car's ignition system. Get an adaptor for your Trabant accessory socket with a cigarette lighter socket at the other end. Then find a USB converter that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket that gives you the required 5V from the Trabant's 6V supply. I have a couple that do, including the one for our GPS. If you mount the DAB radio above the windscreen then the speaker(s) will be closer to your ears and hence a lower powered radio should be loud enough to be heard and there should be no problems with reception through the Duroplast roof.

As ever YMMV.
  3. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I got something like this on my Trabant which feeds a separate fuseblock for various 12 volt circuits.

You'll have to click on this link:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/turbofiat/media/bWVkaWFJZDoxMTA2OTc2ODc=/?ref=1

I run a radio, electronic ignition (well before it crapped out), fuel guage, LED backup light number plate frame, cell phone charger and cigarette lighter off it. The fuse going to it is rated for 10 amps but I've never blown it.
  4. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

[QUOTE Get an adaptor for your Trabant accessory socket with a cigarette lighter socket at the other end. Then find a USB converter that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket that gives you the required 5V from the Trabant's 6V supply. I have a couple that do, including the one for our GPS. If you mount the DAB radio above the windscreen then the speaker(s) will be closer to your ears and hence a lower powered radio should be loud enough to be heard and there should be no problems with reception through the Duroplast roof.

As ever YMMV.[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for that very interesting answer. Could you tell me more about the USB converter for 6v that you have to power the GPS. Brand name and cost would be helpful, then I can look around for a DAB radio.
  5. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

The TomTom USB charger that came with our GPS works but that is an old one that does not have a microUSB plug. The other ones I have found are generic ones sold here in Norway under a couple of Norwegian brands and were dual 12-24v ones. Use shops that accept returns foc then you can test the adaptors without ending up out of pocket.
  6. turbofiat124

Here is what I am using to power my LED headlights and auxillary lights:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-5V-11V-...tor-Adaptor-/232003917707?hash=item360482d78b

If you are just wanting to power a radio, alternatively you could use this device:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pcs-MT360...are-for-Arduino-/272648435604?var=&hash=item0

and place it in a small box like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-Junct...-55x35x15mm-/331941679200?hash=item4d49441060

I've put together several of these smaller step up conveters together and wired them in the memory wire on my car stereos. Sometimes the starter can pull so much power it causes a voltage drop and I loose my presents.
  7. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

8. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Fitted the 12v cd/radio player in the 6v Trabbi today. Works great with big speakers hidden in the boot. I suppose I'd better fit an isolator switch in the converter circuit so it's not drawing current all the time, only want to use it for the radio.
  9. turbofiat124

I've mounted these on Trabant, Citroen 2CV and my 68 Ford Fairlane between the battery and the memory wire on my radios:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pcs-MT360...are-for-Arduino-/272648435604?var=&hash=item0

Reason being is sometimes when I crank the engine over, the starter pulls so much current it causes the massive voltage drop going to the radio and I loose my presets. So far I have not had any issues with flat batteries. The memory wire draws probably less than 1 amp.

I think some of my problems may have been weak (or the wrong size) batteries to begin with. Not enough cold cranking amps.

This problem was really bad with my 68 Ford.