1. goltho

goltho Newbie

Has anyone changed the lifter rail? It's the thin metal (tin) strip which the glass sits in, and is bolted to the winder mechanism. It's the driver's side on mine which has rotted. Having got the new part, I had a look today at the job - I can't see for the rust how the glass is held in the rail (rubber gasket?) and it seems that I'll have to remove the winder mechanism.

Any pearls of wisdom please? (1989 601)
  2. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

window and winder has to come out. :)
    Glue the rail with the rubber piece to the window. :)
  3. goltho

goltho Newbie

Thanks. So I unbolt the winder mechanism, run the rollers out the end of the lifter rail, and remove the glass.... how?
  4. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Yes, when the winder is off it can stay in the bottom of the door, and the window can be tilted and pulled up. :)
    goltho likes this.
  5. ummeli

ummeli Premium Member Forum Donor

Pulling the window out of the rail may take some effort. It could be stuck in there rather tightly, but it should come out without any special tools or anything like that. The rubber may stay with the window or it may stay in the rail. If it stays with the window just pull it off.
    goltho likes this.
  6. goltho

goltho Newbie

Great, thanks for that. It's now near the top of the list so that was good timing.
  7. ummeli

You've probably figured this out already but you have to do all of this inside the door frame, since the opening for the window is too small for you to remove the window with the rail and the rubber still attached. That's what makes this job especially fun.

As it happens, I'm doing the very same job on my passenger side door today. Big fun. :)
    goltho likes this.
  8. goltho

goltho Newbie

Yep, worked that one out. Have fun and don't forget to crow loudly when you get 'er done.:D
  9. ummeli

Well, as it happens, I won't be crowing any time soon.